How to help my daughter through homesickness on our vacation? (Reposted to get more responses)

My two year old has never slept anywhere but at home since she was born. We've never gone on vacation. But tomorrow, we will be flying cross-country to visit family, and I'm not sure how she'll react to being away from the comforts of home for an entire week. I mean, I'm an adult and I'm feeling a bit homesick already!! :-(

How do I help her through this vacation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• Try to relax. She will be able to read you, and that may affect her. Let her pick out small items to bring, her favorites. I'm sure she will be fine, kids are resilient. Have fun on your vacation!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Hopefully she'll be fine, but bring some of her comforts from home- blanket, stuffed animals, nuk, whatever she uses to comfort herself at home.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Bring her blanket and sheets with you all it will smell like home and she should be okay. My DD was the same way and the one and only time we did go away from home for 4 days we brought her bedding and her froggy that she has had in her crib since day one.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Prepare her for the fact you are going on vacation. Don't wait until the last minute. Tell her the things that you are going to be doing. And plan some fun things for her to do with whoever she will be staying with and tell her all about them. Le her know that she can take anything that she wants to from home and that you will call every night to hear about her day and tell her goodnight.
    Elayna90

Answer by Elayna90 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My girls always had some favorite stuffed animals and I made them pillow blankets. They would take those blankets with them all the time. Sounds like you'll all still be together as a family, so just keep some of her routines the same as if you were home. Snacks before bedtime etc.
    Ittgal

Answer by Ittgal at 10:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i'd sleep with one of her blankets to get your scent on it, or maybe leave behind one of your shirts you wear often along with a pic of urself. Also, maybe call her once a day to tell her goodnight and remind her that you'll be home soon.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010