Is Ohio a battleground state because of the economy there?

How much does it cost to go to an NFL game? At least 80 bucks a ticket and $6 for a beer. So why was the ESPN telecast of the Cleveland game last night showing a packed stadium with fans holding beers and food? Priorities with our spending or lies about the economy being much worse than it is? Cuyahoga County is supposed to be filled with nothing but citizens living in poverty according to the news reporters.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Being a Battleground state has nothing to do with the Economy. It basically states that state has no leading support for a single candidate. Just because the stadium is full doesn't equate to the hard hit economy of Ohio. I know some hard core Dawg Pound men who save up all year and ask for nothing from their family for holiday's then to have season tickets to the Browns... I would hope you aren't judging the severity of the economy based on a NFL game...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Ohio is generally a battleground state because of the number of electorates they have and also that they are not a confirmed red or blue state - they change each elections, making their electorates up for grabs.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 9:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I believe Ohio is a battle ground state not because of the economy, but because it has a high number of electoral college votes and is not either strongly Democrat or Republican. It is not true that Cuyahoga County is filled with nothing but citizens living in poverty. I use to live in Cuyahoga county and now I live in Medina. I know several people who live in Cuyahoga county that are doing very well for themselves.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My dad & my dh have season tix for the Browns (wow-I don't admit that often, ha ha!) and were at the game last night. They pay for the tix every April. Just because we have the money to do these things does not mean that Ohio is not suffering due to the economy! We have a VERY high forclosure rate and I know our house is worth about the same as it was 5 years ago when we bought it (found that out when we had it appraised to refinance). I don't really understand the connection you are making between a football game & the economy? I don't see any empty stadiums during an NFL game regardless of the state! We are considered a pivital state because of the electoral college & the number of electoral votes we have. It's like that every presidental election year. There are a handfull of states that are always considered pivital & we are one of them.
    raegansmom

Answer by raegansmom at 10:16 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• ohio is quite often a battleground/swing state
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Red_state,_blue_state.svg
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2008