dads being involved in kids' school?

Tonight my 5th grader had a parents' night for the parents to learn what the kids will be learning this year (each grade has a different night for this). There are no kids allowed at this event so that means only one of us can go while the other stays home to watch the kids. It started at 6pm (which was 10 minutes ago). I had like 3 hours of sleep last night and have been cleaning the house since 8am including washing our 8 week old's clothes by hand because we don't have the money for the laundromat. I'm exhausted and sore all over.
My husband spent the day watching TV and playing video games.
He didn't feel like going and I'm too tired, won't drive our truck and it's pouring outside. So neither of us went. Why am I the only one expected to do these school things?

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 9:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I feel sorry for you and your kids. My dh would go if he was the one with very little sleep. He is a very involved dad. Your dh should be helping not hindering.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Why was he allowed to play video games all day? Seriously. I would not have allowed that. I would have told him that he needs to help.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• :( No my hubby does most preschool field trips. Even rides the bus with the loud, germy, whiney kids.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Very uncool of your DH. He SHOULD have gone. That teacher is going to think your child will have uninvolved parents since none of you showed. :(

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• But with that said... I don't care how tired I was, I would have been at the school. My husband works second so anything in the evening is my responsibility regardless of how tired I am.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• my hubby works evening so he the one that usually goes to the school functions during the day, and I go when it's in the evening. one year the teach said she was wondering if he was an only parent. lol

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We are both very involved whenever we can be with most school activites, functions, events. Your dh should have gone from what I'm reading.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• thats sad! My hubby and I atten all school functions and have our neighbor watch the other 3 . It is impotant that you are both involved! I mean we are both PTA!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I chose not to fight with him about his video games. If I had said something he would have gotten pissed and taken it out on everyone because, you know, he earns the money so he's done his share. Nevermind he's been on vacation since mid-July when the baby was born.
    If I had gone I would have missed dinner because I would have had to leave 40 minutes early to walk the 2 miles to the school (in the pouring rain) because I don't drive. Or we could have gotten all the kids in the car including the baby who finally fell asleep after screaming for an hour just to drive me 2 miles to drop me off then repeat in one hour. Made more sense for him to go but he was tired and didn't feel like it.
    I've given up getting help from my family for anything. None of them want to help me or care at all about what I'm doing or feeling so what's the point.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010