How do I help my 4yr old with the new baby?

He has been the only child for a while and now here is a new baby. How do I help this transition?

Mom_of_Boys2

Asked by Mom_of_Boys2 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't overdo the big brother thing! Make sure you have some time everyday for just him and you, even if it is just his bedtime routine or bathtime. If he is willing to help you with the baby, great, if not don't push. By trying to keep his routine as "normal" as can be done with a new baby too, he will see there is no issue. Truthfully, if you don't make an issue out of this I don't believe he will either. He will just see this as extension of love and life!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• make sure you set aside some spcial time each day for you and your son. if he wants to be involved, let him, at 4, he can help with lotsa stuff, changing diapers, feeding (maybe..lol), he can help pick out what new baby should wear for the day..he can 'read' to the baby, sing some songs to the baby etc..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. At times it seems like not enough mommy to go around
    Mom_of_Boys2

Comment by Mom_of_Boys2 (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Also check out Franklin's book Franklin's Baby Sister, and there are many more. Just don't bring any home that have illustrations of a mean big brother. A lot of them have mean words but I changed them. I never encouraged that.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My girl was just barely 5 when our son was born. I read somewhere that even though the baby is crying louder, make sure to give attention to the older one first. S/he will remember it while the baby won't remember crying for an extra minute or two while you pay attention to the older one. I also found that explaining why the baby had to come first sometimes helped her understand that taking care of her little brother didn't mean I love her any less.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2010