Tooth issues and pregnant

I am 30 weeks pregnant and having horrible teeth issues. I have one tooth that is broke off but they cannot do the oral surgery to take it out until the baby comes because of the heart issues I have. They have to put me to sleep and do not want to do that while I am preganant if we can avoid it.
I am using Orajel, ice packs, and Tylenol and I am not really getting any relief. It is getting to where water is the only thing I can drink because everything else has sugar in it and it makes it act up. I can't eat a lot either but I have to eat and drink for the baby.
Any suggestions on what to do to help the pain or what I can eat/drink?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 9:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• are the nerves exposed? if so they should have gave you a temp solution at the dentist, my sister had an impacted tooth and had oral surgery awake while pregnant and got tylenol 3 for pain could you have the tooth pulled awake w local? or until get some tylenol 3 for occasional use i know its a pain med but the do prescribe it and youre in the 3rd trimester
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yeah, definitely check with your OB and dentist on possibility for pain meds in the meantime, and try Anbesol. That helped a bit with my wisdom teeth years ago, and while not the same thing, it is still pain relieve for the mouth. Can you drink tea, or is that too acidic for the tooth? I would just try all sorts of bland foods, bread, crackers, peanut butter, unseasoned meats, mashed potatoes. How about skim milk? Bananas?

Good luck mama, this is a rough situation you are in and I have nothing but sympathy for you. How soon after your delivery will they be taking care of the tooth?
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 9:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I don't know about the pain meds. I'll have to ask. The tooth broke off in the middle and it is so painful. However, I have issues with my heart and with anxiety so if they don't put me to sleep....my heart rate gets too high. They don't want to risk any heart issues while I am still preganant. I agree that it is safer to wait until after the baby is born. I am just miserable in the meantime.
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• oh okay i thought you ment the baby had heart problems wow they use to sell i stuff you could pack on a broken tooth to protect it untl you got in but i dont know if they do anymore you could always check at walmart for something like that
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My tooth broke while I was pregnant with my DD. I went to the dentist and they said they couldn't decide what needed to be done unless they did an X-Ray, but they wouldn't do it without consent from my OBGYN. I wasn't comfortable getting it done, so I just dealt with it until a few months after my DD was born. Thankfully it didn't hurt that much. I ended up having to have it extracted.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• But I am dealing with a big cavity underneath a filling in one of my molars right now. I have to have a root canal done, next week in fact. They prescribed me antibiotics and Vicodin, but the Vicodin makes me nauseous. So my doctor told me to take ibuprofen because it's the same thing. So try taking that instead of Tylenol. Tylenol never does anything for me! I hope your tooth feels better soon!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2010