My son will not sleep...

My son started kindergarden last week...he LOVES it!! For some reason, he will not sleep at night...what can I do? I have tried a noise machine, have chill time before bed, keeping his door open...nothing seems to work. He wakes up crying...will go back to sleep for five mins and starts again..this goes on till 3 am, then he has to get up at 7am for school...help

S.D.A

Asked by S.D.A at 9:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's still a lot of adjustment for him. My daughter started last week and wakes up a few times a night. She is a total bear in the morning. She cries, clings to me, won't eat. I'm thinking and hoping that they will get used to this huge change in their lives.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• sounds like hes just trying to adapt to his new schedule..what is he crying about when he wakes up? is he having nightmares ??
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Probably still adapting to the new schedule. It can take some time to adjust. Even though he loves it, I'm sure there is some anxiety.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When he wakes up crying, I'll ask him whats wrong...he says "I dont know" or "nothing" or "I dont like the song thats on" or 'mommy, tell me how to go back to sleep"...its little things that bug the crap out of me because at this point I'm exhausted and every time I start to fall asleep hes up again...I try to be patient, but its hard at 1,2 or 3am...
    S.D.A

Comment by S.D.A (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My daughter is 6 just started first grade and she is in this stage she will do to bed but by midnight she gets in bed with someone and she just tells us that she is scared but she has open door and bright lights on and I don't know what to do. He may have some seperations anxiety and not realizing what he is feeling.
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Any suggestions?? He needs his rest and so do I lol
    S.D.A

Comment by S.D.A (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My daughter has that problem, but her's isn't due to going back to school. She suffers from Insomnia which is common in younger children and teenagers. She wakes up about 4-5 times a night and comes to my bedroom and wakes me up. There's nothing scaring her at night. Her doctor put her on Melatonin 300mg every night. I also ordered a CD called Real Sleep. There's classical or ambient CD's to chose from. This might help.
    LaHoward

Answer by LaHoward at 8:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• When my kids can't sleep, I tell them to think of something that's either really relaxing, like floating in the pool, or really boring like waiting at the doctor's office. Then, focus on that. It works. For me, I imagine I'm sitting my my college humanities class and before you know it, it's morning. :P
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2010