My daughter won't really drink cow's milk and she is getting absurd about nursing now when I would like to wean her...

My daughter nursed from the very beginning..never took a bottle. At around 8 or 9 months I really was feeling like I was barely producing anything..I mean it was just starting to hurt because nothing seemed to be flowing out, and it seemed like she was just barely sucking on the nipple, and not latched on. I tried to give her some formula..in a sippy cup..or mixed with her cereal...she didn't want it. Now that shes over a year old, I thought THANK GOD now I can give her milk. I offer it to her in a sippy cup..she'll barely drink it. I do mix it with her cereal. I give her yogurt and cottage cheese to make sure she's getting enough dairy..

But I'm honestly starting to lose it with the breastfeeding. She is so demanding, and its really nothing but painful now. I hate nursing her so much. But it's the only way she'll go to sleep. Unless she's in the car. I'm so lost...I feel completely out of control :*(

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can wean her at this age. Nursing should be a pleasant experience and it you are not happy doing it, then you can stop.
    Your DD does not need cow's milk as part of her diet. She can get calcium and Vit D other ways. If you feel like you need a milk like product there is Rice/Almond and Soy to add to cereals. Or just have it dry or mix with juice or water??
    Try various sippy cups. I'm sure she will find one she likes. What does she like to drink? Put her favorite stuff in the cup.

Good Luck momma!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 10:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I went through the same thing. I don't have any solid advice but when my daughter was 12 months I never though I would be able to stop nursing. Everything happens in time, just keep offering her milk. See how she does without nursing to go to sleep. I know its hard to get through but you can both do it! Maybe if you put her down when she is awake she won't cry very long.
    babywhatnow

Answer by babywhatnow at 10:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I also wanted to add that it could be a phase and she will go back to nice nursing and you don't have to stop completely if you dont want to. :)
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 10:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• yeah i really do want to stop nursing her. i just can't take it anymore. but i also don't want to traumatize her. i try to snuggle her, hold her, sing to her..and nothing will soothe her besides nursing. and she will CRY beyond belief and scream, and throw herself back and throw a tantrum if i try to put her down to sleep without nursing. its awful...so now what i do is i nurse her for a bit, then lay down with her in the dark...and she'll toss and turn for like 10 minutes then fall asleep, then i put her in the crib...but this only works at night when its dark. in the afternoon i can't get her to do it when its light out...
    LittleMonster22

Comment by LittleMonster22 (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Do you have stored breast milk? Or can you pump instead of nurse? Try a 50/50 mix and ween her that way, also maybe she might like soy, flavored soy like vanilla or almond milk. All are with the cows milk at any market. And what cows milk did you get her? WIC says from 1-2 the healthiest is 1% if the baby is of normal growth and eating properly. If you don't have a very fatty diet your breast milk wont be that fatty and maybe whole is to thick?
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:10 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Also, have other people give her the milk, she knows only 1 kind from you.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:11 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Mine likes rice milk. The amount he drinks depends on the cup I use though. He likes some better than others.
    kberrey

Answer by kberrey at 1:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My daughter is now 2 an she hated milk refused to take it. So i tried flavoring it. An it worked i use nesquick strawberry mix. An her favorite is. French vanilla. Go to the coffee isle an get podwer coffee creamer in french vailla. Now she loves milk an i have no problems.
    lilbritches501

Answer by lilbritches501 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2010