I'm Depressed

I a single parent, raising my 17 month old daughter, working and going to school. I am very depressed. My mom suggested that I go to the health department doctor and get on anti-depressants. I really don't have the desire to do that but am having trouble just getting through my days. Have any of you taken anti-depressants before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• I have been on them for most of my adult life. They saved my life and gave me the opportunity to actually LIVE instead of just existing. Anti-depressants can be very helpful, even to get through a temporary bad time. You hear a lot more bad stories about meds than positive ones, but there are millions of us that owe our lives to anti-depressants. Write me privately if you want more info. And please do consider at least seeing a doctor and a therapist. Anti-depressants may or may not be the best solution to your problem, but you owe it to yourself and your baby to explore your options. I have a 20 month old and can totally relate!! It is a hard adjustment and such a change in lifestyle - even if everything is great you still have so much stress. Please take care of yourself!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear this :*( Life can be extremely difficult sometimes...especially with a toddler..doing it all on your own. I know how you feel..my husband is in medical school so I basically feel like I am raising our 13 month old daughter alone and it's been really getting me down because she is so difficult...

Anyway...I think anti depressants should only be given by actual psychiatrists. Many regular doctors don't know what theyre doing with those kinds of drugs...see if you can get in with an actual psychiatrist and go to therapy as well. In my opinion, those kinds of medications need to be taken in conjunction with psychological counseling or therapy.....yes, it's a brain dysfunction but it sounds like your life circumstances are also contributing to the problem, and those you can only work thru in therapy. the pills won't make life go away...
    LittleMonster22

Answer by LittleMonster22 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yes I have depression and medications do work. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right one tho. And be sure to go to a psychiatrist who specializes in meds. GP's don't know anything about the medications, I learned that the hard way. For some depression is a lack of chemicals in the brain. For some there are other issues that need to be dealt with and then you have to see a therapist too. If your depression is getting worse it really is time to see a dr.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 10:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yes, I've taken meds. I've been a single parent for many years. However, I think you need to seek counsel first and then meds for a short period. Its okay to take meds knowing its not an end all solution. You need help so you can function my dear friend. Get the help! It's okay. I'll highly suggest thought o question the Dr. and what they're giving you. Become knowledgeable. Knowledge is power! ((hugs))
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 10:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I've been on and off them since 1997. I was put on them again last Friday. I did not want to go that route, but already I can feel the difference. I have come to the conclusion that I too want to live instead of merely exist for the sake of my kids. If it takes a life of antidepressants and therapy, so be it. I want to be the best mother I can and the best person I can be. You may just need therapy, someone to talk to and help you work through your depression. I wish you the best.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I have been on antidepressants off and on all thorughout my adult life. I will tell you that they can truly help you. They can help you actually live and enjoy life instead of just exhisting. I do have to say though that meds are not a cure all. They always work better when paired with counseling. A counselor has the training to help you come up with techniques and exercies to help you with your Depression and that coupled with the meds is what really helps the most.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i have taken them a few times in my life to get through the rough patches. zoloft helped me, but it laways works better when ur in counseling or therapy or something.
    iluvmybabe

Answer by iluvmybabe at 10:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I agree with getrealmama. I too ave been on anti-depressants for many years. I would also try to get in a support group with other ppl that suffer from depression and/or a group that are single moms.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 10:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would go. I was a single mother with my first. I thought my feelings were all due to the stress in my life of being a single parent. Then when i had baby #2 and everything in my life was perfect the same out of control emotions returned. I was crying at the drop of a hat, getting very upset at DH for literally NOTHING. At 7 months PP i finally admitted to myself that i probably had PP depression (which apparently was caused by and overactive thyroid) . I had been pretty against anti depressants because as a child i was on adderol for 2 weeks and i was a completely different person, i was afraid the medication would change me again.I went to the Dr. and I got anti-depressants. They made my life so much easier, i am back to enjoying my children again and not being so emotional and feeling so overwhelmed with anxiety and life. If i have another baby i will immediatly get on medication.
    EHolman

Answer by EHolman at 11:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I did after I had my second- I didnt take them very long, just enough to get back to my normal self. If you need them take them.Its better then you and your child suffering threw this. Please go to the doctor. you will be happy you did.
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 10:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010