• In the Spotlight:

Ok heres one My son is 16 he goes to the high school when he goes,How do i keep him going i take him he walks out,he rides bike he rnever makes it there,he rather be in iss then in class,i go looking for him i find him take him back to the school i tell them arrest him and they say they cant now why??????????

proudgma40

Asked by proudgma40 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Talk specifically to the truant officer. He will direct you. He will have a serious sit-down with your son, explaining to him the repercussions of his actions. He will also let you know the law....can he quit school at 16 where you are? Maybe that's what he wants to do. But then you need to make him aware, that it's either full time school or full time work.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• If the officer catches him at the time he isn't in school...then they will arrest him. so maybe if you find him then tell the officer where HE can find him..i don't know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• If it were me I would go to school with him just to make sure he goes, and the plus side to that is he will hate it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Not a bad idea sammiesmom. I have gone to my youngest sons classes before because he is autisitc and sometimes would not be able to stay on task. Schools for the most part love it when parents go to the school and help out. You may can give a student in the classes that your son is in some extra help.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Have you ever asked him why he doesnt' like the school? Maybe he's being bullied. Maybe he's not able to understand what they are teaching or a teacher giving him a hard time. There are 8 or 9 methods of teaching. Maybe he isn't being taught in a manner that is conducive to him learning. See about distance learning school or some sort of alternative school. See what he wants. Call the School Board and ask what alternatives are there for him. Just talk to him and see what's up.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Tell him going to school is his job he either goes to school to all the classes or he has to get a job and start paying his way. make a list of all the things you do and how much you would charge another to do them and give it to him don't forget room and board. now he goes to school gets a job or you call department of family services.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 2:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• There has to be a reason why he doesn't like school. At that age he may feel like no one listens to him. Take the time to listen and see what is going on maybe a change of schools or teachers is in order. You can't make him do anything because if he really doesn't want to go he won't, but maybe there is an underlying issue that can be fixed.
    ayindemommy

Answer by ayindemommy at 2:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I was always skipping classes... My mother took a day off and came to school with me! She sat with me in all my classes, went to the bathroom with me and sat with me at lunch... She said if I couldn't find my classes by myself she would help me! Maybe you should take a day off and make sure he goes and stays in school... After once he'll think twice before he cuts out again!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Or maybe you should just look in to an online graduation... HS can be done on line and at least his grades wouldn't suffer if he sleeps all morning.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Him not going isnt a crime,so they cant arrest him all they can do is suspend him.
    My niece does that,so we ended up telling her if she thought she didnt need to go to school then she needed to do the "grown up" thing and get a job and start paying for stuff and see how far she got in life without school and how boring it would be,so she tried it and went back to school after about a month,and made up the time she lost from school over the summer.
    Anonymous