Is it safe to whiten children's teeth?

My dd's teeth are yellow - She brushes them twice a day every day and does not eat or drink anything that would cause staining. She has a great big smile and the yellow is quite obvious - Does anyone know if whitening is safe for kids?

andj606

Asked by andj606 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Health

• I was jsut talking to the dentist about this. your dd's teeth are yellow bc the enamel hasn't finished hardening. it's totally normal and not an indication of poor dental hygene. using whiteners on them will likely only damage them or waste your time and money. just keep doing what you are doing and they will whiten up as they mature.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• How old is she???
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 10:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Does it bother her? If so ask your dentist I'm sure they ones you can buy or they can recommend a brand that is safe.
    heatmac4

Answer by heatmac4 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• No, Those whiteners are full of chemicals. I would talk to your Dentist about it.
    Childrens teeth should be naturally white, if they take care of them. I would not
    do anything like whiening strips.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You must be crazy! Why would you want to put all those chemicals in your childs mouth?! Take your child to a dentist for f*ck sake! I seriously think some of you people are nuts!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• lol at the keyboard cowboy who doesn't have the guts to sign her stupid insults.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Whitening eats away at your enamel if you start her whittening now she won't have any enamel left and then her teeth will look yellow. I would wait at least talk with dentist first.
    CarrienKansas

Answer by CarrienKansas at 11:03 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I would say no-whiteners are full of chemicals. i brush my teeth with baking soda-that is a natural whitener.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• are you crazy??? Why in the hell would want to waste time typing to a website instead of calling the pediatrians office, or even a pedi dentist s office? Now THAT MIGHT be considered abuse, lol!
    Elaine RN,BS
    ProfilRN

Answer by ProfilRN at 12:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• oh come on. she asked if it was safe, not which brand to get. way to guide her down the right path Nurse Elaine.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2008