Eczema

How do you deal with eczema?
My son was diagnosed with server eczema about four months ago. He is now 7mo and I can only give him a bath when ABSOULTLY needed and have to coat him in Vaseline at every diaper change and lotion. He also has hydrocortisone cream applied 4 times daily to the worst spots to keep him from itching, and a prescription hydrocortisone cream for if he has a spots that were bleeding.
So, does anyone have any other suggestions, natural or otherwise?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• Have you tried cerevae? It comes in a lotion and a lotion cleanser. It is in the face cleanser aisle but I have used in my toddlers bath water. I also use sun detergent for his clothes it washes out better. When money was tight I used a drop of baby oil in his water but be careful, it makes the tub slick. These things helped TONS. GL
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Stay away from Vaseline, baby oil, and other petrochemicals. Know that most OTC products (even those made to treat eczema) contain ingredients that actually exacerbate the condition, and many Rx creams (like Elidel) are known to cause cancer.

You need to treat from the inside out, more so than the other way around. It can be caused by food allergies, and/or your child may have underlying nutritional deficiencies. The following were what finally rid my daughter of her eczema: avoiding dairy, supplementing with probiotics, supplementing with evening primrose oil and/or coconut oil (both can be used topically also for breakouts), zinc cream applied to the patches can help stop the itch, and switching all products (soap, shampoos, etc.) to healthier versions (ones that are free of petrochemicals, parabens, SLS, and other harsh chemicals).
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:40 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My daughter had severe eczema when she was younger (up through age 12!) - we tried everything - all the home remedies, OTC stuff, prescriptions, natural products - you name it - nothing worked! A friend gave me a bottle of Renew Lotion - all - natural :) and told me to try it - wonderful stuff!!!! within 2 weeks her skin was beautiful! - couldn't believe it! She is now 16 and we still use Renew Lotion and her skin is beautiful. Since then we have also switched our laundry and cleaning products - we use EcoSense - from the same company that makes the Renew lotion - they even have a Renew body wash and liquid hand soap now - it comes with a 100% satisfaction, money - back guarantee - I hope that you try it - I know that you will love it and be very impressed. Please contact me if you would like more info. :)
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010