Does any have any experience dealing with babies born to drug addicted mothers? My ex-husband now has custody of a child that was born with drugs in his system. I would really like to talk to someone who can give any advice or tips since I have agreed to help watch the baby at times when he is working. After all , the baby is my children's sibling and I want him to be in good hands. Thanks to anyone willing to help.

Baby has displayed "jittery" arm and leg movements. Really fussy(especially while bottle feeding)/gassy/really soft stools/bloody stools ( doctor seen it and did a rectal exam and didnt seem too concerned). Absolutely hates being in carrier for car trips. He is only about a month old. I have 2 teenagers and do not remember it being this difficult so Im looking on here for some advice since I believe its from the substance abuse. I do not know what drugs she was on, but it was enough to have the baby taken from her at the hospital right after birth.

G8rgirl14

Asked by G8rgirl14 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would highly recommend swaddling him. Maybe avoid the car seat (car trips) as much as you can while he is adjusting. I have fostered drug exposed babies, and adopted one, too.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 10:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• poor baby. i wish i had some advice for you.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• That is SO sad. All I can recommend is giving the poor thing as much love and care as you can. A close family friend adopted a baby who was born addicted to heroin. At about a month old, he stopped suffering. Hang in there, and I recommend finding some sort of specialist to help you with this. I'll pray for the little guy.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Blessed- thanks for the tip!
    Cassie & Loving- thank you for your replies :-) I pray everyday for "my lil man" , he is so precious! I know God is watching over him and his troubles won't last forever, it just tears me up inside to see him like this.
    G8rgirl14

Comment by G8rgirl14 (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I am a Foster Parent and we have dealt with several addicted babies. It is so sad to watch them go through it. One thing that really helps is swaddling them. They need to be held A LOT. They need to be swaddled and held up next to you.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• ask about possibly switching formulas to a sensitive kind... i used similac sensitive on my dd who was adopted through foster care and also used 'sensitive' formulas with other foster care children in my home... it seemed to help at least with the tummy issues ...
    good luck
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 11:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thanks for the tips Hsmom and Chiana! God Bless you both for your help.
    G8rgirl14

Comment by G8rgirl14 (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My friend is an adoptive parent of children who were once in very very bad shape. Baby slings or other carriers are fabulous. Wearing a baby can help with development in many ways. Babies who didn't get the best start can recover better when worn often. It will help breathing development, muscle function, head control, language development and much more. Wear the baby!

You are doing a great thing for your family.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Ask the dr about mylocon for the gas, my dd who was not a drug baby hated car seats to, that will go away with time. Also, look into drug counslers along with the babys dr.
    Good for your husband and my prayers are with all of you!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• That really is a shame. I would suggest doing kangaroo cuddling. Its where you hold the baby with just his diaper on and a blanket over him against your bare chest and this helps soothe the baby, the skin-to-skin contact. Hospitals do this a lot for preemies. It can strenthen their senses and help them to cope and grow. I also suggest a lot of singing of soft lullabies and rocking and swaddling. Good luck, I am so sorry.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2010