My heart is breaking :(

I decided tonight after 20 months of my son having a binky to get rid of it. Well he has been SOOOOOO attached to it but it was causing huge fits if he didn't have it. Now I can't get him to go to sleep. He has a

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know of any advice, but I'm sorry you're so sad. :( Now I'm really dreading taking mine from my son!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Each parent has to do what they think is correct, but maybe he is just not ready yet. I don't mean any disrespect for your parenting skills but he is not even two yet. He really may need the binky alittle while longer.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I know this doesn't work for everyone, but my DD was really attached to her paci too, and we cut the tip of it off, told her it was broken, and then had her throw it away. She only asked for it once, and if she brings it up now, she says, "paci broke, throw away. no big deal" and goes on with her business.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 10:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• does he only take his binky at night? as bad as it seems if this is the only time you might want to reconsider and slowly take it away ex. he only gets it at night, no daytime naps, then after he is asleep take it out of his mouth till he just needs it in his hands.. what ever you decided good luck! the hardest things a mom does is listen to her baby cry
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 10:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I feel for you. If you REALLY want him to be finished with his bink, stay strong!! We weaned our daughter, and I kept a bink (you know just in case). We were having one of those nights, and I gave her the bink. She had been weaned for 2 or 3 weeks, and I threw it all away. I'm just saying if you do it, stick to it :) ((hugs)) this part is tough (but worth it).
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 10:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I've heard before to leave binky with the child but just cut the very tip, they don't like the feeling as much so learn to give it up
    I haven't tried it cause our daughter never liked them =) hope this helps!
    Anna S.

Answer by Anna S. at 10:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think it is different with each child. You just have to try different things until you find something that works. With my daughter she threw hers out the car window one day when we were driving past the zoo . As soon as she did it i said "Chloe you can't throw things out the window , but that was SOOOO VERY NICE of you to give the duckies your binky" then when she would want it i would just say " but remember you were so nice and give it to the duckies." and she was fine. With my other daughter i explained that her new baby brother (who she was so facinated with) really NEEDED a binky and so it was his turn to have them. My son, well he just cried alot for about a week and i spent a lot of time in the rocking chair with him. It broke my heart but not as much as it would have to see him go through the pain of dental treatment to correct his teeth that were ruined by having the binky for to long.
    EHolman

Answer by EHolman at 10:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Why exactly are you taking it away at this point? Because he really wants it? Not sure about that logic, lol, but I let my son keep his binky until he was ready to give it up on his own. And he did, with no prompting or action on our part at all. No crying, no drama, he just slowly stopped wanting it until he stopped. They do not cause dental damage until permanent teeth come in, so you have a few years yet.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• getrealmama- i took it b/c it has become a fit causer. The other night he got so mad at me b/c I had him laying down to rest b/c he was constanty throwing fits, well i got him up b/c it was dinner time and told him he need to put his binky up while we ate. He looked at me screaming and slapped me in the face b/c he did not want to put it up. I am just tired of the constant fit throwing over it.
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• idk if this will help but i saw on super nanny once she had the little boy put the binkys in an envelope and send them to the binky fairy and the next day "she brought a present for hiM" and there was like glitter by tthe mail box and some little toys in the envelope

but i mean, it reallyd epends on the age and your parenting style but just an idea? and for others reading the post as well. but good luck!!!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2010