How do I know my baby is allergic to cow milk?

nance209

Asked by nance209 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you think the might have an intolerance, stop drinking milk or eating dairy products for at least a week and see if that changes him.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:04 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My son would cry and become violent after drinking it...we had a blood test done to confirm any allergies...he is sensitive to it so we give him goat milk
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• There are several symptoms that might be displayed. My daughter was 'splotchy' after ingesting dairy formula, fussy,lots, LOTS of spitting up, and just uneasy when being fed. What kind of symptoms is your baby showing?
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 10:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Babies have such different reactions, as I have learned! My son wasn't diagnosed with a dairy allergy until he was a year old. In the mean time, he was constipated, he spit up a lot - and continued until he was 10 or 11 months old, and was gassy. The last thing that showed up were hives. He developed this horrible case of hives that I thought were chicken pox. He's been dairy free for a year now and is a much happier baby!!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If you're nursing you could try an elimination diet. I was nursing a baby with a cow milk allergy and figured it out and was able to cut out my dairy intake. My son had TERRIBLE stomach pain, shrieked in pain 1pm-11pm daily without naps (nothing would stop it) from 2 weeks old to 2 months old (when we figured out what was wrong.) He also started to pass deep red chunks of blood from bleeding intestines. I've heard of other children who had this kind of experience, as well as those who had skin rashes, etc. I would speak with your pedi about it. If they aren't sure go to a pediatric allergist. I wouldn't recommend a true allergy test for a long time though. We went through it with my son and it was HELL for him. I regret it, but they wanted to make sure it wouldn't kill him if exposed by accident since the reaction was so severe to just breastmilk. If you are using formula, try a sensitive or soy one I suppose.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 10:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• well, I am breastfeeding exclusively but I take about 3 cups daily cow milk..He will usually feed and then starts to cry and then ultimately sleeps :(
    he;s always fussy but I related that to him wanting to sleep but can;t !!! When he feeds during his naps he;s not fussy at all..He;s not that gassy maybe can have a colic once a week or sthg..he;s not spitting but I am worried becos his boo is green and I read on baby centre that they should be mustard colored..he;s 5 months old
    nance209

Comment by nance209 (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Spitting up alot
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2010