How can I get my 2 month old to sleep longer at night?

my baby sleeps about 2 to 4 hours at a time generally. sometimes he is up every 1 or 2 hours. usually this is to eat. i have started added cereal to his bottles before bed and it does not help.

Johnsmom2010

Asked by Johnsmom2010 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think its recomended anymore to add cerial. theres nothing you can do. he will sleep all night when he is ready and most 2 month olds arent ready, my daughter was 8 months when she stopped getting up to eat at night.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• some babies just don't sleep all night
    My first slept all night from the time I brought him home from the hospital
    My 2nd after about 6 months
    My 3rd...she is 13 months and I still have not had a full nights sleep...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Honestly, there isn't much you can do. It's just part of him being a baby. It's normal for him to be eating that often, and the cereal making them sleep longer is a myth. There is a nighttime formula that is supposed to keep them full longer, but I don't know how I feel about that. If a baby eats, it's usually because he needs to. I know it's tough, mama! Sometimes it's downright torturous getting up so often, but he soon will start sleeping longer. Just hang in there, before you know it he'll be sleeping through the night. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• some babies just don't sleep all night"

Wow, you got lucky, lol!
    LovingSAHMommy

• Dont add the cereal that young, if at all. My son woke up every three hours when he was yonger at first it was recommended by the doc becuase he was early, BUT his weight was just fine. So we were trying to transition him to sleeping all night. It just takes time. and usually if they wake themselves up to eat they are hungry. Joey slept through the night I believe by 4 months old. and life was great! LOIL
    Joeysmama012709

Answer by Joeysmama012709 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Sounds like a totally normal 2-month-old to me. Please don't put cereal in his bottle, he's not ready to eat that yet. He's just a little guy, don't expect so much from him. This is part of being a mom :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• his dr actually told me to add cereal. i had heard both ways about it. it dont work for mine but he seems fuller and happier when i add it. my first baby slept through the night early and my 2nd didnt for a long time. so ive experienced both but if there is something i could try (within reason) i will try.
    Johnsmom2010

Comment by Johnsmom2010 (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• ur baby will do it when he is ready ! so for now , i wouldnt really do anythign if i were you !

my now 12 month old son , started to sleep tru d nite on his own by the time he was 2 months old , he just started doing it , he didnt follow any of the many books out there , or anything , we just allow him to settle into his own schedule :)
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I agree with cassie_m
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• sunglasses miniMost babies don't sleep for more than a couple of hours before they're up an ready to eat, and it's unfortunately very normal. Try exposing him to sunlight and activities during the day and transitioning to night with window shades down, low lights, some music, maybe a bath. Don't wait till he's over tired.

mom-de-uno

Answer by mom-de-uno at 11:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010