what are the side effects of sedation on a 1 year old for a MRI?

My son went to his 12 month check up and the doctor was concerned how much his head grew since his last check up. He has had problems gaining weight up until now because of an high palette. In this last month he gained over 3 lbs. but has been intaking a lot more protein and table food. So I figure this could cause the head size increase. But the doc wants an MRI. I just don't like the thought of sedating him so young. Has anyone else gone through this? What should I expect, or should I just say "no thank"s?

lydiaclopton

Asked by lydiaclopton at 10:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• a friend of mine had to have her 4 month old sedated for an mri b/c of head size...she was a nervous wreck but it ended up just fine...her little girl had no side effects but it was a very hard decision for her...can you get a second opinion???
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You can always ask a doctor all of this. It's better then a doctor then us.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would do it to see why my sons head was growing so fast. What if he had a tumor and you didn't have the MRI done? The amount of raditation and sedative he will get is minor. IF he has any side affects, it will probably be drowsiness, lack of appetite, upset tummy. That is really something you should be asking the doctor and your doctor should be discussing the pros and cons of the MRI too. Hope it turns out ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My daughter had an MRI after getting knocked out and she stopped breathing and had a seizure (so scary) . They did not put a baby completely under anymore for MRI they gave her versed which is a concious sedation. She was just drowsy and loop after.
    EHolman

Answer by EHolman at 11:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thanks. Our doc just said he really recommended it. He didn't have anything else to say about it. we'll have to try and reach him tomorrow to get more info about it. And I never thought of a second opinion. We are going to need to find a new doc in a few months anyway because of a different matter.
    lydiaclopton

Comment by lydiaclopton (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My son had an MRI when he was 1 to make sure his brain was normal because he has Michophthalmia (small eye) and Colobomas (underformed eyes). My son was rough going under. A sedative just wasn't calming him, so they had to put him out with general anesthesia. It makes them drowsy and loopy. It can give them jerky movements as they fight. After my son's surgery when he was 1 1/2, he threw up. You would have to weigh the pros and cons. Find out from the doctor what kind of sedative he would give. Ask him what the side effects are and also look up online what the side effects are so you know you have all the information. It is also important to ask what the reasons could be for his growth. You need to weigh the risks of the sedation with the benefits of finding out what is going on. If it could be serious, then it may be necessary to do the MRI.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My 3rd DD was put under for an MRI when she was a little older - about 19 months. It didn't bother her. She was actually sick at the time anyway, but she didn't act any differently than before the MRI. IMO it was worth it to know what was going on with her (or lack of problem - she'd been having seizures).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:02 AM on Sep. 8, 2010