cord blood banking

i recently found out you can bank publicly for free, its private that costs thousands and if you do it publicly then ppl who have cancer and such can use your babys cord blood if a match and they need ppl to do this, my question is ( which i will ask the dr) just curios to know if anyone has done cord blood banking after a csection i know it is about a five minute process where they baby has to be attched to the cord so can they still do it i know after a csection the like to take them quickly to get airways clear and such, so if youve done it let me know :0 )

Kre10

Asked by Kre10 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can donate to a large company, google them!
    http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_Cord_Blood_Share_Life/index.html
    They will send you a kit and after the OB or midwife takes the sample you send it back. It should all be free postage too.

If I can donate here in Alaska, I'm sure that you can do it in Illinois.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would also like to know. My doctor said they will not take donations (mostly because of cost involved in testing). My mother-in-law has cancer right now, but she is 3 states away and I don'tknow how to get my cord blood her. With all the good it does I wish there was more substantial information on it.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• excuse me? im not paying im donating so i dont understand where you are coming from here, im not fearing shell get sick and have problems i know ppl are sick and can benefit from this so where is the harm?
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i live in illinois it might be diff for diff states but they had a news report on it for a local girl who is sick and that if you can cord bank then you should bc ppl can be matches, i guess we will have to google or hope someone knows ill post monday what the dr says
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• lol awesome thanks!
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Total WASTE!!! These are people who prey on your fears.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010