Babies Encyclopedia: Is it necessary to use unscented or hypoallergenic laundry detergent and softener? If so, for how long?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 11:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would use a baby detergent or hypoallyerginic laundry soap at least until they are a year old and then just watch and see what there skin does after that year babies have very sensitive skin.
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I used Dreft when my son was little. I used it for about a year and a half. I used it cuz he had sensitive skin
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would definitely start out using a baby detergent. I used both Dreft and Purex Baby and liked Purex Baby more, and it's like a quarter of the price. I LOVE the scent, and it never seem to irritate my son at all. He is almost a year old and I recently started using regular detergent on his clothes (Tide), and he's been fine with that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• NO.....This is CRAP!!!

Unless you plan to wash EVERYTHING in the WHOLE HOUSE in the "special" detergent it is CRAP!!!! We are breeding skin conditions by over sanatizing everything. You are not allowing the childs immune systems to build and learn to deal with stuff on its own.

So, you wash the baby's clothes in Dreft. Then, you pick baby up and you are cuddling.....did you wash YOUR clothes in Dreft? Probably not....so the baby is being exposed to your detergent, your soaps, your perfumes, your powders, your.........everything. So, you spent 2x as much money and you have not "shielded" your child from the supposedly "harsh" detergents.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I definately did. I have Children who have really bad skin allergies and it has been wonderful for us. We still use it and they are six and ten.

No matter what, I would start out using hypoallergenic soap and softener at least for the first six months. Their skin is so thin and sensitive.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I have never used any special detergent and my kids have never had a problem.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• idk if its crap Maureen, but you have some good points. My kids are teens so I went thru this a long time ago. I used Dreft cause my older sister used Dreft and since my sis had kids who where a lot older, I took her advice. lol I dont remember how long either. I had two kids 23 months apart so I think I kept using it for awhile...
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I used All Free Clear and now we use Gain... my dd does have sensitive skin but usually only to bath products and things that get applied directly to her skin like diaper creams or lotions...
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 11:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No, unless there is a history of skin conditions, sensitivities or allergies. Like Maureen said - your clothes that you are cuddling baby against have been washed in regular detergent. And what about blankets, sheets, towels, car seat covers, swing seat covers, and everything else that your baby comes in contact with?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I use All Free & Clear for everything in our home anyway & always have. I don't think it's necessary, I just hate the smell of laundry detergent.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2010