Babies Encyclopedia: How can I better prepare my infant for shots?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 11:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give them baby tylenol before you go to the doctors office
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I give my son baby Tylenol about an hour before his shots. He always seems fine afterward.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Doctor always suggested giving baby tylenol an hour before baby got the shots
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• The best thing you can do and about the only thing you can do is to make sure that you give the baby Tylenol about an hour before shots.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When preparing a child for immunizations, you must first consider the age of your child. When dealing with infants under a year, there isn't really a fool-proof way to mentally prepare your child for his/her shots, but you may need to prepare yourself! Even if you can't mentally prepare your children, you can do a few things to make sure they are physically prepared for their immunizations. First of all, you will need to make sure your child is not sick with a virus or bug when they go in for their shots. Your Dr/nurse should ask you this before giving your child a shot. The second thing you can do is be aware of any side-affects/allergic reactions to all immunizations your child will be receiving that day. (your Dr/nurse should provide you with this info, also) Also, you may want to give your child a dose of Tylenol BEFORE he/she receives their shots to keep fever/comfort in check. Good luck, Moms!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would give my son Infant Ibuprofen an hour before the MD appointment because it is an anti-inflammatory. I also always had his favorite blanket and a cup of milk with him for his comfort.
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 11:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I do not give any pain relievers until there is a reaction by my child. Some shots, they react to. Some they do not. While the nurses prepare the shots, I rub baby's thighs and try to get them loosened and relaxed right before the shots.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• For my son, the best lesson I learned was to prepare myself for the shots. It's difficult having to watch our little ones get shots, however, it is in our best interests to show no apprehension or fear of the shots when it's happening. Babies pick up on our cues, physically and emotionally, and the minute they sense something is amiss, they are going to react to it. If we stay calm and soothing, our kids should grow up not being afraid, or at least as afraid, of needles. And since they have so many doctor's appointments for immunizations, isn't it in our best interest to make them see needles as just a normal part of a visit?

I do give my son Tylenol an hour beforehand and when we get home, he also gets a nice warm bath. And I bring along a toy for him to play with during the shot, and honestly, it's been the best thing. He may whimper or slightly cry for a couple seconds, and then he's fine. It works perfectly for us!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 11:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• The recommendation now is that you DONT give tylenol before shots as it can decrease the effectiveness of the vaccine, and hide any allergic reaction. You are not supposed to give it until an hour afterwords if necessary.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• They wanted tested advice and INFORMED opinions, please research this topic further because studies show its NOT a good idea to give tylenol before hand for the above mentioned reasons.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2010