Babies Encyclopedia: What are ways to start teaching my toddler other languages if I only know and speak one language?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 11:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could buy the little einstein dvd's they teach different languages and they are very good!!
    T_R_F_144

Answer by T_R_F_144 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I'd look for a care giver (nanny or babysitter) who speaks another language, use tapes and videos - along the Dora or Kai Lan lines, but less annoying! Lol. My kids attend an immersion school, not quite toddlerhood, but still from Kindergarten on they are taught in French only - all instruction and conversation is in French. If your s/o speaks another language have him/her speak only that while you speak English.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You yourself could learn to speak another langauge...which is what i'm doing now?
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Also DVD's and CD's that teach languages.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Get some videos, books, board games, and music in the language of choice so that your child is fully immersed but in a fun engaging way. You should also have somone who will only speak to your child in that language for example a tutor, nanny, uncle, etc... You should also try learning the langauge along with your child so when they start speaking in a different language you could understand them!
    mom-de-uno

Answer by mom-de-uno at 11:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• There are a number of learning toys out there that have extra languages programmed into them. I believe Baby Einstein has some, and Leap Frog has the Counting Maracas. Those are easy ways to teach them simple things early on and then expand their vocabulary as they age through books, videos, etc.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 11:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• There are bilingual groups in most towns for babies, you can listen to music in other languages, or when they're a little older you can change the language setting on DVD's to Spanish or French... If you have enough money you could hire a nanny or aide that speaks another language and have them only speak in the other language around the baby.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Have you considered a language yet? I speak Japanese as well and I will admit... My kids dont speak it very well. For me its hard since I think in english and the only people I speak it to are my parents. I would recommend to start slow and basic. Flash card type things. Label things. Like your bathroom, door, chairs things like that and say it as you use it and daily. Once you get more advance I would recommend getting someone that speaks it more fluently into your playgroup or make friends with someone. You want to make sure your teaching then the language correctly. My 7 year old speaks Japanese better then my 4 year old. My 2 year old is kinda in the middle with it all. Good luck.
    alohagirl96

Answer by alohagirl96 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I agree with previos posts. There are so many options out there that help you learn a second language. DVDs are a great way to start if the parents only know one language. The child will learn to properly pronounce the words.learning together is another wonderful option!
    malkamom

Answer by malkamom at 12:20 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Learn a new language and teach it to your little one as you learn. They'll catch on and you'll have more fun learning yourself.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2010