quick question

my 3 month old is getting a cold. she has been up coughing for a few hours now. i just went to check on her and while she was coughing, she puked. she was on her back, and i immediately put her on her side so she wouldnt choke. what should i do for the rest of the night? should i just let her be in her crib, but what if it happens again and she chokes. should i bring her to bed with me so i can keep a better eye on her. i dont have her bassinet anymore, she sleeps all night in her crib. im probably not going to get any sleep either way, my 2 year old is also upstairs coughing.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 11:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's tough! Personally, I'd call the doctor who is on-call and ask. I don't want to give the wrong advice, but if it were me, I'd the baby in bed next to me. My son got sick once and was throwing up and I was basically half-awake all night, watching him. I did call his doctor, though, and she recommended Pedialyte if he threw up more than once. I hope your kids are feeling better soon!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Call the on Call Physician. Is she running a fever? I would sleep on the flood in her room, prop her on her side.
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 11:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Do you have a bulb syringe? I would suck out her nose really well before I put her to bed. Do you have a wedge or roll up a towel and place it in a pillowcase to wedge her on her side. Is the head of the crib elevated? Rasing her head will help her breathe better, She will likely be just fine. Do you have a vaporizer that you can run? Call the pedi in the AM- Are you in CA? Whooping cough is prevalent in CA communities right now.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• just keep close eye on them both yes it might be better to keep lilest one by u tell better if they dont get better then take them to doc my kids did the same i have a 4,2,and 1 yr old been through it b4 i was worried to as well so i know were ur comin from just give them crackers and water no milk makes it worse on them
    Kryssy T.

Answer by Kryssy T. at 11:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• call her doctor first and then always know that sick children should always sleep right next to their parents ! for their safety !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• if you have a humidifire i would put the kids in the room with you and keep an eye on them and also you can give your 3 month old a bath or put a little vicks on their chest it will help with the coughing they probably puked from coughing to much my son was that age when he got an ear infection try these also a little bit of camamill tea will be good for them too help calm them down. hang in there
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 11:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My son got a cold at three months and he slept upright on my chest for three nights straight. I sat on the couch with strategic pillow placement to keep my arms in place and it actually wasn't too bad. I actually got some sleep knowing that he was fine! Give the doc a call just in case she wants to see her. Hang in there!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Mine were in bed with me or sleeping upright on my chest - all 4 of mine got their first cold right at 6 months.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• One thing that worked for us when DS was little was to put him to sleep in his bucket car seat and either put the seat in his bed or by my bed. By being in the car seat he was at a better angle for his sinuses to drain and he would breath much better, which meant more sleep for everyone.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• sounds like you got two sick kids. have you called the dr. it maybe nothing serious. but its better to be safe than sorry.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 4:02 AM on Sep. 8, 2010