Why would an illegal "need" a drivers license?

I cannot imagine why an illegal from any country would need a drivers license. Is there any reasonable argument that would help me decide?

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 10:06 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• They don't. They need to be deported until they can come to this nation legally and go through all the steps. It just causes more trouble for the Police Officers. And since my hubby is one. 90% of the people he pulls over for reckless driving are Illegals and they don't have a license. They try to get away with it, but they are just filling up our jails until some can come bail them out. Right now in one county over we are having a real bad problem with Hispanic gangs. They are getting DUI's, stealing, de-facing businesses and weekly they are shooting and stabbing in local malls.

If you can't live here in an orderly fashion, you must leave. If you were to go to another country and do the same things, you would be beaten then sent back the states. No other country has mercy on illegals, but somehow we do. Makes a lot of sense when they are hurting our family and friends.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 10:26 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Okay, while I don't agree with this, I do want to make a small point. :) Without a drivers license, illegals cannot get car insurance on their vehicles (which they CAN buy without one.) Without insurance, it puts all of us at risk if they were to hit us - we would be out the damage and since they are illegals, it would be hard to track them down to sue them. Therefore, if they can get a DL, then they can get insurance, which would make things safer for us.

This is the only thing I can think of! lol
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 10:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• But if they are illegal (which is against our laws), would getting a drivers license mean they will become honest enough to get insurance? Why would they care if they are covered? I'm really amiss here....Still looking for a good answer....Thanks for the try, tho, MommyRust. Its good to see a young mom thinking. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Anyone that comes over here legally can drive on their foreign driver's license for the entire time that they are allowed to be so except for what the ap said about not getting insurance, I wouldn't see any reason why they would need one. They should come into the country legally and then we wouldn't have to worry about it.
    mscottsmom

Answer by mscottsmom at 10:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• LifeasInoit - I am an insurance agent, which is why I said what I did! lol :) I have illegals come in every single day to get insurance because they want to protect their vehicles (they usually have loans on them - yes they get loans from banks without being citizens.) I can't give them insurance without an DL, so many do want to have insurance, they just can't. Or else - they find one family member that has a DL and everyone puts their vehicles on his/her policy - THAT happens ALOT! Even though we tell them not to do it...we can't prove that is what they are doing...but we aren't idiots! lol
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 10:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• mscottsmom mscot... Anyone that comes over here legally can drive on their foreign driver's license for the entire time that they are allowed to be so except for what the ap said about not getting insurance, I wouldn't see any reason why they would need one. They should come into the country legally and then we wouldn't have to worry about it.

Not in Ga. mscottsmom!  If you have a licence from another state/country and you are here for more than 30 days you will get a ticket.  And most of these illegals claim to live here.

mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 10:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• they are criminals and don't deserve to receive any benefit of citizenship until their illegal status is resolved.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• stupid stupid....thats all i got to say
    josesmami

Answer by josesmami at 10:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Well I have no idea....I understand the point regarding the car insurance but I think the bigger picture is that illegals need to be deported! Seriously, I am all for allowing people in our country, legally, they need to get a ss card and they need to pay taxes like the rest of us and then they can start to be functional citizens. they also need to learn some english and quit expecting us to add spanish on every box, package and phone option. the US was built of freedom and new beginnings but its not to be abused. there should also be a process and maximum per year of how many imigrants we can allow in the country, period, not just the mexicans. becaues they are abusing our country and the assets we pay taxes for. if they all paid taxes like everyone else i would not fuss about it one bit.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 11:08 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I am technically going to be an "illegal" for the next month. My 6 month visit is up (I am from canada) and I still need to comeplete my medical for my residence package and send that in with a heap of money within the next 30 days. My canadian drivers license was up for renewal and since Im not at home I just got one here instead. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to take my son to the hospital when my husband is in the field, or attend my own doctors appointments. Honestly, I think you really have to take into concideration why immigration would classify them as illegal- sometimes you thought that submitting your papework would be less expensive than it is, or you hit a road bump and have to wait longer than you planned. Try not to be so judgemental!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Oct. 14, 2008