how do you get a teenager in bed by 11pm and not stay up all night

marjie1368

Asked by marjie1368 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Let them stay up as late as they want.... but wake them up with a glass of ice water if they don't get up on their own, or get up super grumpy.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• thats a great way....
    marjie1368

Comment by marjie1368 (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My kids have a 10pm bedtime during the week for school, and typically they don't actually go to bed until about 10:30. Not sure if you have set time but maybe try to make it earlier and shut the tv off, put a password on the computer, have a place for cell phones for the night and then see what happens.
    I actually turn the tv off at 10, and say bed time, turn the lights out and that gets them moving. Although one tends to jump in the shower right at that time, the other jumps on the internet while his brother is in the shower and by 10:30 they are both in bed.
    Mine are 16 & 12.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• ha ha coder chick..my kids aren;t this old but I had a bedtime at this age...LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Teenager is a broad term... are they 13 or 18? That makes quite a difference. I think if they want to stay up all night, let them. They will eventually get tired of waking up overly tired and just go to bed early on their own. I wouldnt really worry about it unless its negatively affecting their school work or are super cranky all the time (but what teen isnt?!)
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 12:09 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Ugh, I remember being that age. Nothing sucks more than being told to go to bed when you're not tired yet. I DO remember my dad threatening cold water, and giving us little flicks of it in the morning when I was 6ish. Ugh, but his worst tactic was his sing songey "It's your FAVORITE time of the MORNING!!" *shudder* NO, it's NOT! I still hate morning. But it has to be done. By my teens I went to bed and got up on my own.

By that age they are old enough to start learning some personal responsibility. Even at this point DD (19 months) doesn't have a designated bed time. She goes to bed when she's tired... but she still has to get up when it's time to get up. Of course I'm not going to dump ice water on her at this age (that's just cruel). When she has to get up early (I wake her up with the tickle monster, it seems to be the best way to get her up laughing instead of crabbing) she ends up tired earlier. So it ends up working out
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 8:15 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I still maintain the idea that (at least with 'normal' average kid, special needs may be a different story) the more personal responsibility you give them, the more responsible they will be. No one will ever learn to do something for themselves if they always have someone there doing it for them. Of course you can't dump it all on them at once, it's a gradual process. But as a parent, you're not going to be around forever, and you can't be around them every second of every day holding their hand. (I hope I never out-live my child(ren)) Sooner or later they're on their own and if they haven't learned the skills to manage on their own by then... well... you've done them a disservice.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 8:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Take away the cell phone, computer, ipod, tv at night. Give them a 10pm bedtime during school nights. But they can stare at the ceiling or read a book. NO texting, no watching TV, no watching videos, no facebook, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i just start turning off the tv, lights and all then off to bed, that works, i dont give my kid time to protest it so fast
    gifts

Answer by gifts at 1:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have 3 teens and my husband and I go to bed by 11, no later. They're allowed to stay up in their own rooms as long as they like but they don't have TV, computers, or phones in their rooms. They can read all night if they wish but they'll be getting up at 6 AM for school whether they got 8 hours of sleep or 2. I agree that they need to start learning how to figure this stuff out for themselves. This is one of the biggest reasons we ruled no "electronice" in their rooms except for radios since they were little.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010