how do i get my 4 & 5 year olds to go to bed in there room? i have tried everything i can think of ,but they still insist on sleeping on the couch.

if we do put them in there room one of us has to stay with them untill they fall asleep. sometimes it takes an hour or two. we've tried just letting them cry to sleep, but my 4 year old has seizure disorder and getting to upset can bring one on. PLEASE HELP!!

betty70

Asked by betty70 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest use to sleep on the couch when he was little. I actually just tucked him in on the couch, read his story there and let him sleep. It only lasted until he was about 6, when he got a new bed and was excited. I guess unless its a real issue I would probably let it go, but I might be to lienent sometimes.
    They actually still sleep on the couch on weekends. They also sleep in their clothes from the day. (of course they are much older now but I just let it go - picking my battles these days)
    Maybe try letting them pick out their own bedsheets, and maybe decorating a little to make it their own. I'm sorry I don't have more ideas.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Just pick them up and continue placing them in bed. Repetition and then they will realize that there is no other choice.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My daughter goes to sleep with her 'own' t.v. on and we keep it on through the night,this keeps her company.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 11:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• might try a night light if you dont already have one
    prego_jessi

Answer by prego_jessi at 11:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• im with countingsparows our 4 n 2 yr old have a tv in there room they watch it till they fall asleep takes bout an hr or so then we just turn if off when we go to bed
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• just keep putting them back. My son at 2 slept with us so thats what we did with him and its not fun or easy. At this gae it takes a while but if your consistant it works. I did my girls at 12mos so that was much easier. I did co-sleep with all three though.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• yep. i agree with melbornj, its the only one that will create a consistant routine.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Keep putting them back in bed and give them a consequence for not staying in bed. At 4 & 5 they are able to understand that there will be punishment for not staying in bed.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I no alot of people say that this is not the right thang to do but we put a tv in our 4 year olds room and she watches a movie to fall asleep in her own bed. That is the only way i could keep her in her bed and sleep
    NicNat8505

Answer by NicNat8505 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010