How Can We Make Our Country Better?

Okay, ladies, dig deep here. I am not asking about the candidates, so please refrain from bashing/supporting them. I am asking how we, as women, can work to make this country a better place for ourselves, our families, and our children.

How can you help?

Personally, I volunteer each week to tutor students that have learning difficults. It is such an amazing feeling to see that AHA moment when they finally catch on to the subject at hand. Children are our future - we should help them as much as possible!

MommyRust

Asked by MommyRust at 10:10 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• People have these grand ideas, but it really starts small. Be a positive member of society, of your family, company, community....teach your children to do the same. Your standards and morals will be passed on. Problems arise when people compromise.
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• KDW - I agree with you that it starts small. If we all did something small...it would create a big difference in our society! We all need to be positive and efficient members of society to show the future generations how it is to be done!
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 10:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Great job with the tutoring!!!! As a former teacher, I think that's wonderful!!!

What can we do to make the country a better place for our families? I think there are so many small things we can do. Like reuse and recycle...that makes our environment better for our children. Walk more places instead of driving. Turn off the lights, unplug things when we're not using them. Volunteer!! There are so many places you can volunteer. You can tutor, you can work at a food bank, you can volunteer at church or in your community. Helping other's is such gratifying work and when your children see you do for other's they will learn that it is important to care for others too. I also think it's important to donate to causes you believe in, like The Make a Wish Foundation or Christian Children's Fund.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Anonymous - I completely agree with donating to Charities. I feel bad because we have ours that we do (its all we can really afford) and we can't pick up any more! I donate to St. Jude's Childrens Hospital, Covenant House (provides support for homeless teens), and The Indiana State Troopers Benevelent Fund to help those the families of fallen officers. I think we are going to pick up another one next year if we have the extra money!
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 10:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I volunteer at my child’s school and I see kids falling through the cracks as early as 1st grade. The teachers are doing the best they can, but what are the parent’s doing? It is way easier to turn Sponge Bob on when I get home from work and make dinner. But I stopped. Instead while I am making dinner my 1st grader is reading to me, or helping me measure food and make dinner. I have seen a HUGE difference in her ability to do mental math and reading… It wasn’t hard to ask my employer at the time if I could take 2 hours a month and volunteer. They actually loved the idea. I think we all should be held MORE accountable for our actions. Why look for the Federal Govt to solve the problems all of the time? A lot of social issues in our country could be solved with community support and involvement.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Well, I am really good at Human Resources - I dream of helping people write resumes, learn to interview, find free/inexpensive clothes for the job - and getting them jobs.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 10:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• grlygrlz2- I'm the annonymous poster from before.

I could not agree with you more. As a former teacher, I had so many students slipping through the cracks....and I taught 1st grade!! Most teachers do the best they can as do most parents, but there is def. something lacking in schools today, be it parent involvement, no child left behind, etc. My opinion is that the whole public school system needs an overhaul.....we need to just start all over. Throwing money into the school system will not fix the problem and I don't believe vouchers will either. And yes I totally agree that we need to more accountable for our actions!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I volunteer at my childs school, donate any food I can, donate all old clothes and other house hold stuff, rinse reuse and recycle. The recycled stuff I like to do crafts with my kids using thes items. All this that I do my children are involved with. Before the xmas season they help me pick which toys will go to kids without toys. This way everyone wins, we have less clutter and we are helping other kids
    gavrilmom

Answer by gavrilmom at 11:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Anonymous: I would love to pick yur brain abou No Child left Behind. I have been trying to reasearch it. I have yet to meet a teacher who agrees with it The initial principle, was it good? Then was it added to and added to.. OR from the get go has this been a flawed approach to education?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• pardon my typos. I am holding a little baby as I type...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 14, 2008