Do you have to force your child to floss their teeth?

My son is almost 3 and he wont even let me get near his mouth when I try to floss his teeth. I feel like I have tried everything. Any tips?

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• show him pictures of people with rotten teeth and tell him about what the dentist has to do when they fill in a cavity and that if he doesnt floss, thats whats gonna happen to him
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I lay him on the floor give him a toy to hold and just go at it. If he cries, he cries. The other option is to have your husband hold him on his lap hugging his arms to his sides while you floss. Even if he throws a fit, eventually he will learn its just something that must be done and will quit fighting it.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Do not hold a child down to floss. You want them to enjoy it. We get character flossers. We did that and my son LOVES having his teeth flossed now. It is just too hard to do it with traditional floss.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Have him play with something or character floss. Say his favorite character uses it!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• we use the flossers, she lets me. I wouldn't hold him down, that will only traumatize him
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• use a flosser.
    we tell our girls (1 and 3) that if they sit still while we sing a song (say the ABC's) that we will be DONE as soon as the song is done... i sing slowly but not so slow that they notice, and i floss as fast as i can... if i miss something, we'll get to it the next day.
    i start top right one day, bottom right the next... then top left, then bottom left... this way we are not always starting in the same place, or missing the same last teeth if they just can't sit still...
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• nope i just say it and she does we use plackers
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2010