Can the doctor tell if the baby has turned head down without an ultrasound?

I had my last ultrasound a couple weeks ago and my baby has still breech which is normal because I'm only 31 weeks, but how do they tell when he turns?

ours

Asked by ours at 10:12 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They just feel your belly and push on it. I don't think it hurts, I just think it's really uncomfortable.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 10:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• they can tell when they check your cervix.
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 10:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• They can feel the baby's head when they examine your cervix. I'm 36 1/2 weeks, and yesterday the baby was not head down yet so he scheduled an u/s for next week. If they can't tell once you're closer to your date then they'll more than likely do another u/s just to be sure what position he is in. My doc told me not to worry too much b/c they can wait until the last minute to turn into position.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 11:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• They cannot tell when they check your cervix, that's just silly.It doesn't even make sense. But they can tell and so can you, just google spinning babies. It will help you map your stomach and determine what position your baby is in.
    Forget-me-not

Answer by Forget-me-not at 12:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I was convinced my seond daughter was breech. I could feel her head at my belly button, it was hard and about the size of a softball and if I pushed on it gently it would bounce back(this was from around 32 weeks on). When I told my OB this, he felt around on my tummy and told me no, she was head down. I kept telling him she was breech up until the day before I had her, and he kept telling me no. Wouldn't you know it, I went into labor and needed an emergency c-section because she was in the frank breech position (legs crossed). The only way they can be positive is with another ultrasound. Good luck!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You can tell by palpating (touching) the abdomen. If your baby is head down, feel your tummy just above your belly button. If something feels kind of hard there, that would be your baby's bottom. Also, you should be feeling some kicks up by your ribs if your baby is head down. My first child didn't turn until she was 32 weeks.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 12:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I agree with cdgoldilocks... My midwife could feel where his head was. I had one u/s my entire pregnancy and it was optional.
    I could always tell where my sons head and butt were. :) Of course to move him was easy... my husband would just have to slide his hand across my stomach and his little butt would slide around.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• my ob/gyn could tell simply by pushing on my stomache that my daughter was head down i guess they just know that stuff and know where everything is located just like how they can find the babys heartbeat without having to go more than one spot
    teen_mom_89

Answer by teen_mom_89 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2008