Those that have been sahm for a while..

how do you do it? I got laid off in Feb& df& i were ok w/it being that our ds wouldnt get sick as much anymore as he did in daycare& also because i would be able to drop& pick up my other son from school& now that my df got full custody from his dd i pick her up from school, its a drive, now i love that im able to be there for them but the routine is driving me insane, my little one is a handfull& its a never ending mess, by the time hubby gets home i have changed diapers 5-6 times cooked breakfast ,lunch & made afternoon snacks for the kids,cleaned the home gotten out of the home 2x to pick them up from school at differnt times, & when he gets home house is a mess again n im cooking dinner& its just never ending, im exhausted df helps me out when he gets home cause he sees how tired i am even though it seems as if i havent done anything. but what can i do to make things differnt, is sahm not meant for everyone?

gabby06

Asked by gabby06 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• And some people say that SAHM's are lazy, lol! I know the feeling. It's constant. I've found that getting into a routine helps. Some days it's the only way I get everything done. Best of luck, sorry I don't have more advice!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• yes lol my sister just lost her job a month ago n has 2 little ones n says "now i know why you go crazy"
    gabby06

Comment by gabby06 (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I've mostly been a SAHM for the last 4 years... Personally, I don't know how I do it. I mean, I feel like I'm in prison and I can't wait to have this baby and FINALLY go back to work! I don't know why anyone chooses to do this!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:18 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have been a SAHM for the past 10 years. I think that SAHM'S are very unappreciated and not shown enough respect for all tha tthey do. I think that getting everyone into a routine will be a huge help. Being a SAHM really is wonderful. Once you can get everyone on a schedule and a routine estabilished then you can start enjoying the benefits of it instead of feeling like you are just exhisting. Good Luck :-)
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:20 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think that, yeah, it's not for everyone. I don't usually tidy up stuff in the morning, though I do clean the kitchen, just because dd will just mess it up again. about half an hour before dh gets home, I'll tidy so it looks like it was clean all day lol. it's true that the only "me" time I get is when she naps, and even then I'm usually paying bills or organizing or something. and pretty soon that time is gonna be gone cause we're having a baby in november. it's all a question of routine, and finding what works best for you. school just started, so it'll be easier in a few weeks I bet. if you could get out by yourself for a couple of hours on the weekend to clear your head and be your own person instead of a mom and fiancee, that'd probably help too. good luck!!
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 12:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i tell my df i work almost 24/7 the only time im not working is when im asleep!& the only difference between you n i is that nobody pays me, my only break is the internet, i love the internet!!
    gabby06

Comment by gabby06 (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have never known different but it very tiring, but you get in the swing of the things and you get to see your babies grow and that is a precious gift :)
    anfisasmommy

Answer by anfisasmommy at 12:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I want to add...sometimes you just have to let the house be a mess for a little bit and relax. I've always been a perfectionist and used to feel like a bad mom if the house was messy. I've now realized that it can wait a little bit while I sit down and enjoy my son. It's just going to get messed up again in a few minutes anyways, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:30 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• it is hard! And it is never ending! I totally feel you there...I definitely agree with having a schedule,..as well has having things to do during the week. Plan fun things to do and look forward to. You're doing a good thing though mama. Keep up your good work!
    CrnchyMamaCraig

Answer by CrnchyMamaCraig at 12:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Hang in there mama! I'm planning on going back to work as soon as the youngest is in school. Then I can work during school hours. That means no day care costs. Other than that, I made sure that I had something that was purely MINE with NO kids and NO DH. It helped to keep me sane.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010