Have Americans lost touch with what it means to be American???

Why do we humans only see things from our point of view? "While it may not be a violation of the law -- it may be an act of free
speech -- it certainly violates our sense of decency," said Farhana Khera, president of Muslim Advocates, soon after meeting with Attorney General Eric Holder about
the Florida event of burni...ng the Quran. ...NOW APPLY THAT SAME STANDARD TO BUILDING A MUSLIM CENTER BY GROUND ZERO! HELLO! While I totally agree with this I must say that this idiot burning the Quran is an act of social irresponsibility and unfortunately our military will feel the brunt of what he is doing. I agree with the constitution and all that it implies but some people really do take it too far. But this post is right, it is a double standard.

GoJoMom2448

Asked by GoJoMom2448 at 12:38 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Somewhere in all of this most people have lost their sense of Morals. That's what this is all about. When the Constitution was written, AND taken seriously it was in times when people believed in hard work, God, and basically doing the righ......t thing by one another and their country. The reason why other Countries no longer take us seriously is because too many Americans now a days could care less about the Freedom in which they abuse. They take advantage of it, could care less about our Heroes and Sheroes and "Hard Work".......Just look at our Welfare system. What joke. God Help Me the next time I see a Bitch swipe a Star card and then proceed to get into her Cadillac Escalade!!! Our system is so messed up and quite frankly I'm afraid for our children's futures.
    GoJoMom2448

Comment by GoJoMom2448 (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I completely agree with you, GoJo!

This so-called Social justice crap is just a way for the gvt; (Eric Holder), to allow "chosen" criminals, which includes some terrorists, to get out of jail free, over and over again... Not to mention the many bills passed by BO using cloture, it's unimaginable how OUR OWN Pres. can go against the majority of his own country's citizens, as if they are invisible...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• After seeing the 3 words used to describe American's answers the other day~ I would say yes...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Actually, there is a list of things Americans believe and agree to. If you don't, then you might be physically IN America, but you are not BY DEFINITION American !

We Americans hold these truths to be self-evident: (if YOU don't, then you are not American)

all men are created equal. All = whatever gender, age or race

they are endowed by their Creator ... ( i.e. there IS a Creator)
    with certain inalienable rights = canNOT be removed by any person or govt or EPA

life = we will support everyone's being alive; not allowing them to die, not allowing them to be killed

liberty =in my responsible lifestyle and in my use of my property = MY money, land, CO2, etc. I am NOT given PERMITS for these by the IRS, the EPA nor any other bureaucracy!

the pursuit of happiness = contrary to the European class structure of the time, the Founders set up a society to honor INDIVIDUALS according to their personal merit = ta
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• (cont'd)
    ... honoring INDIVIDUALS according to their personal merit. That is, their talents combined with their own hard work.

The Declaration of Independence is just like the mission statement of a community club. People who disagree with the philosophy and principles of that club's declaration are, by definition, NOT members of that club.

Other commentary on this Koran-burning has brought up the difference between CLAIMING to be "Christian" and really embracing the principles of Christianity. Same goes for claiming to be American.

"American" means embracing certain carefully-spelled-out principles

The Constitution's detail about elections, powers allowed to the nationwide federal gov't, etc, is based on the principles in our Declaration.

Our Bill of Rights is the American "Ten Commandments" to keep our gov't and legal system from becoming tyrants.

No AMERICAN would burn Korans, nor build that mosque a
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:18 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes, i see it in a lot of the young girls on here,  so many hate our country and only look at the bad. They never look at all the good this country has done. The good far outweighs the bad, the bad has always been corrected throughout history. I also see a lot of young girls that try to rewrite history.

But then again I see far more girls who understand what it means to be an American, and that gives me hope for my kids, grand kids, great grand kids, and my great great grandson.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 1:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• The possibility of losing touch with what it means to be American is present in every generation. If we mothers fail to pass on these values, then our children cannot honor them !

For over 50 years, anti-American philosophy has been spreading in our colleges, influencing young students who then become teachers and administrators.
    I kid you not: TEACHERS are subjected to "re-education" workshops every year. Social systems like "Tribes" are taught and drilled as part of their required "training hours" before school starts and every month during the year.

Slogans like "There is no I in Team" and " From Ego to We Go !" are pressed upon teachers year after year. Individuality is IGNORED into oblivion by these Progressive thought-systems.

Values of "teamwork", "group cooperation", and obeying the political correctness police, have replaced truthfulness, thrift, industriousness, right vs wrong.

We moms must raise Americans.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• July 4th, Independence Day is a moment for more than a fireworks display and a BBQ. Read the Declaration out loud together, sing American songs, tell stories of the Revolution and of the people of that time.
    Watch the movie "1776".

Sept. 11 is Patriot Day. You can do more than recall the destruction of the towers. If your children are young that's hardly a main focus you would want to do. But there are numerous stories of valor which you can find in children's literature: "Animal Heroes" by Ernest Thompson Seton is a good place to start. As they reach 5th & 6th grade, they can share in stories and speeches of American heroes.
    Sept. 17 is Constitution Day. Examine the layout of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and the Amendments. Make your kids familiar with it, and talk about some of the more important sections.
    Too little space, 7 more patriotic holidays I can think of.
    USE these moments to share the ideas of America!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Great responses waldorf and nates!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:10 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• believed in hard work, God, and basically doing the righ......t thing

And this is the example of why you don't get it. Forcing your religion on others makes you no different or better than the people you disagree with. Actually, it makes you worse. Nobody building that community center is insisting you must be a Muslim to be a good person. Unlike you, who feels someone must prescribe to your religion to qualify as a "good American". Just because you need the fear of a god to keep yourself from being a bad person doesn't mean everyone else is incapable of doing it without kneeling before your god.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 AM on Sep. 8, 2010