My husband is thinking about joining the army...

My husband is thinking about joining the army, I am supportive no matter what he decides. I am just wondering from army wifes and mothers how hard is it, what happens when he first (or you first) joined. I know that it will be hard, but i would like to here some stories or experiances from army wifes.

Jelliebean21

Asked by Jelliebean21 at 12:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• Hey sweetie.. Well im an army wife. and yes its very hard. my husband has been in about 7mnths or so now.. And its ALOT to think about, its a lifestyle that wll change the rest of your life. Do you have kids,? if so, he needs to know there will be a time when he will be gone possibly a year or longer and miss some of the childs life. birthdays will be missed, holidays etc. you are never ready for it, but it will easier, well easier for you to acustom to it. it can take a toll on your marriage, very stressful lifestyle. there is basic, and AIT you have to get through together first. My biggest advice is, stay very close and talk through EVERYTHING. Compromise is a big factor, remember when he joins he is marrying the army. you are no longer number 1 (in the military view) if you have any questions message me, i will help you two with anything you need to know! :) its a wonderful life though to be honest.
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 1:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It's no picnic that's for sure. My husband was in for three years and I hardly ever saw him. HE was gone a majority of the time. Either over seas, in the field or on duty. They're not very family friendly (atleast in my experience I didn't find them to be very family friendly). The upside is you get to meet alot of other people in your situation so it will be like family away from family and the benefits are pretty good too. Good luck!
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:04 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• it sucked, we got married and he joined... was gone the first 6 months for basic ait etc... we were together for a year and a half and then he got deployed for a year missing the first year and the birth of our first son and he got back about a year ago... thank god he is out now! this week actually!! yayyyy! so out of the 4 years weve been married we have only lived together 2 of them..
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 1:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My husband was in the Army until he lost his leg in Iraq. It wasn't really that difficult, unless he was deployed it was like a normal job. He went to work, came home...we had a normal life. I am actually getting ready to join myself. If I thought it was a difficult life to lead, I definitely wouldn't do it with two kids. If you want more in depth info, feel free to message me on here!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 1:11 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My DH is Air Force. He's been in 13 years. We love it. I think the Air Force experience is a lot different than the Army experience. Most of my friends husbands deploy for 6-8 months at a time, then they're home for quite a while before their next deployment. My DH's career field doesn't deploy him much because he is the only one in his squadron that does his particular job, but where we are right now is not his "actual" job, its a special duty assignment. We have LOVED the travel, the benefits, the security of having a house and electricity and water and a stable paycheck. I love the sense of community on the base and the great friends I have made. I love that the squadrons really take care of the wives while the husbands are deployed, and there's always someone to help when needed. he should look into Air Force. Even the Army and Navy recruiters pointed my DH to the Air Force and it's been great for us.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We do have a son who is 2 and a 2nd son due on christmas. I forgot to mention that.
    Jelliebean21

Comment by Jelliebean21 (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• And as a military wife of 13 years who has three kids, I've been through it all lol so if you have any questions please feel free to PM me.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I didnt watch the news in fear his pix would be on there. Deployments are long hard process but you just keep reminding yourself that what they are doin will not only help your family but millions of families that you will never meet. It makes you value your time together and the stress level can get extremely high so prayer and family and great friends will get you thur. You also meet some great ppl doing the different moves and some very terrible ones too.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 3:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It's hard. Not everyone is cut out for it. But, the good things are: very steady paycheck (unless they muck it up, but he can get it fixed easy); you don't pay anything to go to the doc; you don't pay for Rx, or if you do it's $3, $9 or $22 depending; while gone, there are lots of things like deployed spouses retreats, dinners, we got a certain amount of free childcare; there are military formals, which can be fun; there is a sense of pride, you are a Military Wife, well, you will be an Army Wife. There are difficult things to deal with. But, it's a lifestyle. I'm also an Army Brat, this has ALWAYS been my life. I always knew I'd marry a soldier. I don't think I'd have it any other way.
    What job (MOS) is he planning on going into? Mine is Aviation. He was Infantry, but a lot of Infantry changes to Aviation.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010