What is the average/normal age for a boy to stay dry all night and no longer need a pull-up?

My son is 4 1/2 and in his second year of preschool. He still wears a pull-up to bed every night because he only stays dry about once a week. He is fully potty trained during the day and has been since right after her turned 3. Is this normal for a 4 1/2 year old to still wet at night? Thanks for any input!

Neon1980

Asked by Neon1980 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• According to a potty training expert I talked to for ToddlerBuzz, it's perfectly normal. See my post at http://www.cafemom.com/dailybuzz/toddler?next=21
    Cafe Cynthia

Answer by Cafe Cynthia at 11:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I've found with my boys (3 of them) that removing the pullups entirely was the answer. He doesn't have to worry about whether or not he stays dry as long as he has a pullup on. It's not a big deal if he wets himself because they absorb just like diapers. Try cutting off all liquids an hour and a half before bed. Make sure he goes before bed. No pullup, just undies, and if he wets himself ta;l to him while you're changing his sheet and jammies.. Tell him how sad it makes you that he's not really a big boy yet.. How sad it makes you to have to get up and change him... No child likes to disappoint their parent.. And no one likes to sit in cold wet undies/jammies while watching Mommy change the bed. :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 1:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My daughter is 4 yrs 5 months and she is fully dry at night, and is completely potty trained during the day..they also say that boys are different then girls when it comes to potty training...ask ur doc for some ideas...I can just say dont give him anything to drink at night after a certain time..maybe 2 hrs before bed and make sure he uses before he goes to bed.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2008