Why bully mothers about home birth?

When expectant mothers have a question about their births relating to hospitals, why do many mothers feel the need to come in a push their homebirth views? I'm all for sharing information when it's useful, but when a 38 weeker has a simple question she needs advice for, she shouldn't have to hear something like "I think it's pathetic that you haven't figured out you should be having your baby at home already." Really? Is that in any way helpful or informative? Did that comment serve any purpose whatsoever?

I am all for homebirths. They're wonderful, perfectly safe alternatives for those who aren't comfortable in hospital settings. But there are also some who are uncomfortable at home, and choose the hospital for many reasons. And no, for crying out loud, it doesn't make them uneducated! It just means that's where they prefer to give birth, which is their right and choice. Why the pressure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Really, I thought home births went out in the 50's...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• No idea... but I am not in favor of home births and I see the opposite of you all the time. People bitching against home births.

I guess it is all a matter of perspective. We all see what we want to see.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• there are always gonna be people who lean wayyy in one direction, whether it's for home births or hospital births. some people are just too vocal about their opinions and haven't realized that people just don't care. everyone gets to make up their own mind.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think a woman should birth how she wants to as long as there is no complications or life threatening situations. I choose to have my baby at the hospital because I feel that is right for me since I'm high risk.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 1:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Wow, some one actually said that?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Wow....... who knows!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:03 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Well, every topic has people who are vehemently on one side or the other, and think they should get everyone else to join their side, and don't necessarily use tact in order to do it. I'm sorry to hear someone is chastising you for your choices. Do what's best for you. Tell that person you're having an epidural, too! LOL ;)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• did you really see someone make that comment? i agree with you, i think home births are awesome but i would never judge someone who chose hospital birth. in fact, both of my children were born in hospitals. in our society, especially in some areas it can be very difficult to have a home birth unless it's unassisted, and i would say that most would agree that unassisted childbirth is not for everyone. i mostly see people making negative, uneducated comments about home birth (saying it's unsafe, endangering the child, etc)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I had a birth in a birthing center and have no problem with people having there babies in hospitals, it's your own choice but I had to deal with a lot of people giving me crap over my choices. So im just saying it goes both ways. there are extremists out there that will yell at ya for what ever your choice will be!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Im not against home birth and whoever chooses that more power to them. i prefer hospital, simply b/c if anything goes wrong with me or child i want medical staff there with the right equipment. i dont want to risk anything.
    stevynjjsmoma

Answer by stevynjjsmoma at 11:10 AM on Sep. 8, 2010