how long is recovery after gallblader surgery

i just had surgery on friday, an my family is already telling me im healed. i have a 1 an half year old daughter should i be able to lift her an do things normaly now ?

redivy

Asked by redivy at 1:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Health

• I wouldn't lift her just yet. You should be feeling back to normal soon though. I don't think you can lift more than 10 lbs for like 6 weeks or something..... Ask your DR to be sure!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• how do i tell my family that they dont belive me? i need the help lol
    redivy

Comment by redivy (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My friend has been recovering and in and our of the hospital for like 2 months now from hers! She got an infection and pneumonia :(

I doubt you're "healed" in 4 days! Tell them it still hurts, that picking up your child hurts, and that you want to get the OK from your Dr 1st... better safe than sorry right? You don't want to hurt things and make your recovery longer than it needs to be!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I had mine done last year, and I was told no heavy lifting (anything over 10-15 lbs) for at least a month. If you don't feel like you can do something or lift something, don't do it. And explain that to your family.
    Tink0711

Answer by Tink0711 at 5:05 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It depends on the person and how well they follow their doctor's orders. You don't need to tell your family anything. If they don't believe you, then they can ask your doctor. Just tell them my doctor said I can't lift for XX amount of time and leave it at that. They can follow up with him. I assure you that you are NOT healed yet and you should NOT do anything until your doctor tells you otherwise.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I was fine after 3 days, and was completely back to normal. Your doctor should have given you discharge instructions, follow those.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Your doctor should have given you WRITTEN follow up instructions, which would have included no lifting for a week. Tell your family you're under DOCTOR"S orders.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Oh...and weight restrictions for a month, too... I was allowed ten pounds after one week. Heavier after one month.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010