Did you know that young children should NOT have a hand preference?

Doctors disagree on at what age children should have a dominant hand but there is NO question that before the age of one NO CHILD should have a hand preference. What that means is that a baby should use whatever hand is closest to the object he or she is trying to reach. A child showing early hand preference should be seen by a neurologist. It can be a sign of STROKE or Hemiplegia. I thought my daughter was a lefty until the doctor told me that it wasn't normal and ordered more testing. We found out she had a STROKE before she was born. We didn't find out until she was 7 months old.

luckymama2girls

Asked by luckymama2girls at 11:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I knew. It is also common for kids to keep switching which hand they prefer until 5 or later.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I didn't know until recently. My son has preferred his right side since birth. He always rolls to his right side or uses his right hand. They also suspect him of having a stroke.
    Jessica9183

Answer by Jessica9183 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I never knew that. Thanks for sharing.
    KWS

Answer by KWS at 3:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I learned that in the past year. My twins were preemies and get a lot of therapy. My daughter shows a hand preference so we are working on it. It can also be from feeding in one particular arm all the time, which they believe is her problem. She was given many tests during her 7 weeks stay at the NICU, so they have ruled out any other reasons for this.

I hope everything works out with your daughter.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2008