Winning the lottery- is it really a good thing?

I live on the boarder between poverty and 'richville'. Literally, within a block you go from shoeless, bike riding, sign holding folk to BMWs and 2 million dollar homes.. And honestly, I think the poor are happier and nicer people.. And it got me thinking. If I won the lottery, I might become as stuck up as them..

What is your opinion- is winning the lottery a good thing?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 2:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I dunno but I'd be willing to give it a try and find out! LOL I have heard of lots of stories where people's lives were ruined by winning the lottery and stories of people who showed enormous generosity and chose to help people. It seems to magnify who you really are. (Jerks are even bigger jerks with wealth....and vice versa)
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 2:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Magnifying who you really are, that is a great way to put it!!! That seems like the case.. I guess, I would be afraid of what the money could do to me. For the most part I see myself as a good person. I would hate to find out otherwise. Like, if Im actaully really greedy :(
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 2:20 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think the fact that you're making assumptions about  rich people shows you're no better then those you've seen that may have very well been stuck up. I've seen bad behavior in poor people, but I do not assume that it's their poorness making them bad. It's them period. You see a few rich people and assume are are stuck up? There are people in all income brackets that hold prejudices against people who are not just like them. This is nothing new. S no poor people are not nicer in general because niceness has NOTHING to do with income level.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:20 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Thats a very good point. I shouldnt make assumptions, but after 20+ years of seeing how the people that are on the other side of that road act, its hard to see anything past their attitude..and the thing they all have in common is tons of money.
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 2:22 AM on Sep. 8, 2010