Do babies need rice cereal?

Does it have any value? And if yes, what age do they need it and for how long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everyone I know skipped the cereal and went right to the 1st or 2nd foods. If you're breastfeeding, it's best to wait until at least six months and if you're bottlefeeding, four months is fine. To make sure they get what they need, offer baby food AFTER breastmilk or formula. Or if you're sure your baby is getting enough milk, you can offer baby food whenever you think its necessary.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 11:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• nope, it's not necessary at all.
    it does contain a good bit of iron but unless baby is iron deficient that's not an issue.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/first-foods.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Everyone on here is going to have a different opinion. Talk to your pediatrician about it =)
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• IMO-cereal is crap. It is not needed. My son is EBF and he is 9.5 months old. My belief is that the 1st year babies do well on boob juice or formula and it allows their bellies and digestive tract to develop. Food is fun or experimental the 1st year. If you decide to do rice anyway-be ready for constipated unhappy baby-it happens ALOT and there are many posts about it. Oatmeal is better than rice cereal and I agree with PP that the 1st foods are better if you want to add food. Pureed sweet potatoe, banana, and avacoda are great 1st foods.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I don't think cereal (or babyfood!) is necessary. Especially for a breastfed baby. My 3rd is 20m and is still nearly exclusively breastfed. His sister is 4m and she's never tasted anything beyond breastmilk. Neither one of them has suffered for it. Do what you think is right. Not even the ped's can call all the right shots.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 12:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• No, It is given first because it is very easy to digest.

My son hated it at 4 months and now at 7 months still hates it.
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 3:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• No babies don't need rice cereal. The human race survived long before Gerber invented it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2008