Breastfeeding question?

Does the amount of sugar affect my baby? like with all the sugar I take - goes to the baby?
I love sweet things!! and can't go a day without drinking pop - It is such a bad habbit!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hi I hope i can Help,Almost anything you eat some goes into the brest milk is will make the milk a litte more sweeter. its best t cut back on this your best bet is to ask your Doctor for sure on this.
    gifts

Answer by gifts at 2:23 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes, to an extent it does pass to baby. It will have more of a negative impact on you in the long run then baby. Make sure you are getting enough water to help your body continually detox. but consider that now may be the time to teach yourself self control.. soon you will have a toddler whom you will have to model healthy eating habits for.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I agree with both... and it COULD have an effect on the baby but its more the caffine than the sugar with the pop :-D
    mommas2CuteGirl

Answer by mommas2CuteGirl at 2:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• The caffeine isn't good, and what you eat affects the tastes your child prefers when she starts solids. If she's exposed to strong flavors, like broccoli, she's more likely to eat foods like that when she starts solids.
    Daughteroftruth has it right about modeling behavior. My hubby drinks Diet Coke all day, and our now 2 year old is trying to emulate that. It's driving me crazy, because I've been on my hubby about it since I was pregnant. Kids watch EVERYTHING you do, and they pick up on all our nasty habits.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:23 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes, it passes into your milk but your body takes all of the "good stuff" from your body and leaves you with what's left, so it will have more of a negative impact on you. I am a Coke drinker too, but I switch to caffeine free when I'm bfeeding and cut back to one cup /day. My 9 and 10 year old both were bfead for a year and I didn't eat any differently when breastfeeding them - the 10 yo loves veggies and can't stand fruit, the 9 yo loves fruits and can't stand veggies so I'm not sure about it affecting their taste buds. And they are not allowed to drink soft drinks - they know and don't even ask.

Answer by missanc at 9:23 AM on Sep. 8, 2010