Is snoring normal for an 8 year old?

My 8 year old snores every this normal? Is there anything I can do to help her?

Asked by Sammey at 2:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes and no....
    depends on the snoring... is it cause his airway is blocked and has sleep apnea (sp?) or just laying wrong... i snore when i have my head twisted awkwardly..... ask your doctor to see what may be causing this. he may have you video tape while he is sleeping to see whats causing it

Answer by pinkdena at 2:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Thank you very much for your answer, I didn't know if taking her to the doctor for snoring was being a little over the top!

Comment by Sammey (original poster) at 2:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Just like pinkdena said. Some snoring is absolutely normal - my son snores when he is sleeping on his back, and the doctor said that's fine. My DH on the other hand has sleep apnea. He snores all the time, and I worry when he *doesn't* snore because it means he's not breathing.

I would definitely go visit the doctor, just to be safe. It is most likely nothing to worry about, but I would still take him.

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:55 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Thank you both for your advice I appreciate it, He is a she just FYI....Wish I had a boy but not yet :)

Comment by Sammey (original poster) at 2:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My sis in law's daughter snores right from year one & no one seems worried,thus may be its normal

Answer by A11 at 3:50 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My daughter also snores... She mainly does it when she's on her back and sleep or overly tired.

Answer by LaHoward at 8:18 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It could be allergies, or a cold, or another medical condition.

Answer by RedRowan at 9:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• actually I just went ot the EENT surgeon today,and he said that children should not snore at all My daughtr (3) is getting her adnoids and tonsil removed because theya re so large! Take the child to an EENT surgeon specialist to get evaluated!

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It is normal for some people and not others. There may be allergies involved, or just a really heavy sleeper. My 5 year old snores, but he has allergies. My 10 year old snores when she is sick. My husband snores every night because he's overweight. I don't snore.

Answer by Pnukey at 1:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2010