My kids get very upset at parties when the birthday boy or girl opens their toys in front of them. My kids don't understand why they can't play with the new toys too. Do you let your toddler open their birthday presents and toys in front of other kids at the party, or do you wait until later when all the other kids have gone home? Should there be a general policy about this?

Cafe Cynthia

Asked by Cafe Cynthia at 11:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I absolutely let my son open presents in front of everyone. I don't usually have 20 toddlers there. Only about 5 or 6 tops. And I open up a couple of things and let them all play. And I try to have plenty of activities to keep them all happy.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Def let them! Its their day and the other kids will get theirs! Learning whats yours is all apart of growing up. I always opened my gifts in from of my friends when i was a kid and my 2yr old does the same. You can even involve them by letting them help if your child is ok with that. :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My ex mother-n-law buys presents for my other two kids when we have the twins b-day at her house so the other two don't feel left out and they are not her grandkids . Just the twins are !
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• We always did goody bags with small toy and treats for all the kids so that they each had something of their very own to play with.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• It can be a problems for 2 and 3 years olds. I think parties should be very small (5 kids tops) which helps keep the chaos down. I don't have a problem letting the child open the presents AFTER the party either. At such a young age, kids don't understand that it's a special day - so I let my daughter open a present everyday until they were all open. That way, she enjoyed the new present instead of tossing it aside and racing to open the next box.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• One large problem I've seen at toddler parties is how LONG they are. I went to one that lasted nearly 3 hours. Sure it was outside and the kids were having fun playing. But it was so long and so tiring that my daughter (and several other kids) had major meltdowns. We ended up leaving before the cake was even cut. At this age, I'd say 1 hour tops. Have finger foods - if any - available as guests arrive. Cut the cake as soon as everyone has arrived and then let the little ones eat muchies, cake and play.
    kaycee14

• Yes I have my boys open their gifts in front of others as well. I too limit my guests and it is mainly family when they are little. The other kids do have to sit back and play with other toys. I often will not let them take any of their new toys out of the packaging they come in till after every one is gone. This way there is no fighting and no missing peices to their new toys. We also give out goody bags, bubbles, or candy to the kids so they all feel like they did get some thing.
    momfourboys

Answer by momfourboys at 2:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yes, let them open gifts there that day. After all the people that give the gifts are there and it is much easier to thank everyone right then and there..instead of having to remeber who gave what and so on. I agree with the mom above, you should do cake and what not as soon as all of your invits and family have showed up, that way the kids dont get bored, and then they can also run off all the cake and icecream before they get home!
    We also do a small goody bag for the kids..
    Anonymous

• My daughter now 8 just had her birthday party this past weekend. My two yr old wanted to know where his presents were. I just explained to him that his birthday is in 3weeks and he'll get his then and she won't have any. LOL. He excepted my answer and went off to play. I got real lucky with that one I'm sure. ANd even when we are at other's party and he exclaims that someone received something he'd like I just remind him that Santa is coming soon or some other occasion and if he is good he'll receive that . Toddlers always forget what it was any way ....so no worries that I have to run to TOYS r us every other party. lol.
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008