How can I get motivated to keep my house clean?

I grew up with a messy house and swore not to do that to my kids.....but here I am with a messy house! It isnt a pig sty but still its a mess! I start to clean then get distracted by my kids or just something shiny lol! I have no energy, no motivation , just no drive to do anything. So much harder then it looks to keep up with my house, my 3 kids, and being lonely and not wanting to do nothing cause my husband works all night :(

Asked by RagJunkie at 9:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Join one of the groups here like Fluttering Flybabies...although they are not letting new members join until mid-July. Check out

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• When Im not in the mood to clean up it always helps to listen to music. It really motivates you. Preferably back in the day type of music. Music that makes you move while you clean...Lol

Answer by Ready2drop at 10:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• When I don't want to clean, I think of how my house looks when it is perfect, that motivates me to get moving. Also, I'm A SAHM, it is my job, you always want to do your best @ a job that is outside of the house, so why not do your best inside of the house? I also listen to music while I clean.

Answer by Mrs.Chase at 10:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i have a friend i call and we talk all day while we clean. we each have headsets for our phones so our hands are free adn we joke, gossip, bs, whatever. it gives us girl time and we aren't bored while we clean. boredom is the main reason i don't do it.

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I am in the same boat. I am so glad you asked this question so I can read the answers too :)

Answer by adeuslove07 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I know how it is, I have 4 children and my husband works a lot too. What I find is that I look at the clock and determine that I am going to clean hard for a certain amount of time, like 1 hour, and surprisingly, before you know it, you've gotten a lot done in that one hour. Just set a certain amount of time for doing it, even if its 15 minutes of say tackling the bathrooms -- you would be surprised at how little time it takes to get one chore done. It doesn't have to be an ALL DAY kind of cleaning, that's what overwhelmed me, what to do first. Now I just say, I'm going to take one hour to get the bathrooms done and usually I can get them done and it's one big headache off my shoulders.

Answer by Frankie64 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Each day pick one thing or one area that bothers you the most and focus on cleaning that area until it is finished. Once it is clean you WILL feel happier and more free. Also, try to use some new organizational systems in your house, i.e., buy a shoe cubby, or put a trash can next to the door to immediately throw out unwanted mail!

Answer by LitlChef1 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I know what you mean, I can relate. Esp. if your 3 are little ones! If some are older, they should be helping you! But I would say, overall, don't be hard on yourself, because-I have noticed that there are some days during the course of a month when I am more motivated and have energy to clean than others - some days we are just tired and unmotivated, it happens, and that's ok! I have been in some beautiful houses, that are really clean, but those were my relatives whose kids were grown and out of the house!!!

Answer by merryheart at 10:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Join my group, thats how!!!

Answer by toni01rh at 6:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Unfortunately I have a relative who now that her children are gorwn and out of the house does the "pop-over" visit more often than I would like! Her house is, of course, spotless--no children, but my house (when I not expecting visitors) looks like Toys R Us exploded--until the kids go to bed/school. This relative is also a "gossiper" and is forever telling ME how disgusting other family and friends houses I am forever cleaning my house--at least the first floor--for the inevitable pop-over visit. *SIGH*

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2008