What makes a pregnancy “unplanned?”

What is your defenition of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• All these questions you read from women who've been with their man for a matter of weeks or months and are now pregnant and don't know what to do and he's trying to talk them into abortion or whatnot ....those are unplanned pregnancies.
    I don't think an unplanned pregnancy is just a matter of not trying to deliberately get pregnant. Lots of couples in loving, stable relationships are necessarily trying to get pregnant, but they know they want a child, and they know they will have one together...so that isn't really unplanned, IMO. An unplanned pregnancy is when you're having sex with someone but don't intend to have a baby (or even a life in some cases) with them. Sadly though, in a lot of cases, these pregnancies aren't just unplanned, they're unwaned by one or the other of the couple, or both.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• When you don't plan to have one and all a sudden end up pregnant !
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My definition of an unplanned pregnancy is when you and your partner have not discussed the desire to have a baby together or a time frame in which you would like to have a baby together. Does that help?
    Su-Z-Q

Answer by Su-Z-Q at 12:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• When you do it, and then like you miss your period and you're like WTF but still think you still might get it and it's late, and then like a few weeks later you take a test and it's pregnant and you freak the F out because there's no way in hell a baby fits in your life right now...that's unplanned :P
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I think the difference is whether the pregnancy was ever intended in the first place. I think that unintentional pregnancy is a better description, because “unplanned” is a bit broad.

continued
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 12:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Not being in a stable, committed, long term, loving, and healthy relationship; in which you have already discussed and agreed upon the desire to have children with your partner and then you “accidentally get knocked up is an unintentional pregnancy—creating life together as never something the couple intended.
    PROGENITOR

• cont from above

I think if you have already decided together to have kids and you happen to get pregnant at a time that you were not “trying” then it is more of a “surprise” pregnancy than it is an unplanned one. There is less of a negative connotation with that situation. And in that situation the couple is more likely to have a positive outcome for their child(ren) and for their relationship. It isn’t the same as when two people who haven’t established how they will be having children together “accidentally” get knocked up. While I think that it is better for both parents to be in the mind set of “let’s get pregnant now” I think it is okay for “surprises” to happen. I have a higher opinion of those situations than I do of the ones in which the result was never the intention. I wouldn’t want to tell my child that they weren’t my intention.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 12:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• when you dont plan on a baby right at the moment but in my eyes there a blessing and not an unplanned baby if you have sex you have to be prepared to whats gonna happen in the long run!
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• An unplanned pregnancy is when the decision to make a baby was not fully discussed with each other. It is not discussing the financial plans, not discussing childcare plans. It is when you don't go to the doctor first to make sure you are healthy and have the vitamins you need.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 12:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You weren't trying to get pregnant.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2008