I think i'm about 4 to 5 weeks preg, can I do...?

Can I still do crunches and sit ups? I want to make sure my abs are tight. If not , then what safe excersizes can I do that are safe for my abs?

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would ask your doctor he would be the best to ask because what is good for one is not good for another!!!

Answer by RagJunkie at 10:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• lol....You can't do any exercises to tighten your abs while you are pregnant. It can harm your fetus. There are other exercises that you can do for your pelvic area and so on but no stomach exercises.

Answer by Ready2drop at 10:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Walking is one of the best things you can do. And talk to yuour Dr, there are a LOT od exercises you can do, not sure about the crunches though. Your baby is so small right now that it may not hurt her at all. But I would double check.

Answer by libbykate at 10:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Sit-ups and crunches are fine in your first trimester. But by your second trimester, you'll need to avoid lying on your back because as your uterus grows, its weight can compress the blood vessels leading to your heart, potentially depriving your developing baby of oxygen. Of course, by that time in your pregnancy, you'll most likely find that sit-ups are almost impossible to do anyway.

Answer by dansebsil at 10:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• UM NO !!! there is a muscle that runs up and down the caenter of your stomach and if you separate the top half from the bottom half durring pregnancy you will NEVER get it back together!
    dont be over zealous you will be fine - if you are worried about gaining weight durring pregnancy you will have problems - eat healthy and gain the weight they tell you to gain if you have a low BMI you should gain more and if you have a high BMI you should gain less - but the recomended is 30 to 40 lbs.
    2 to 3 lbs durring the first 3 months - but dont stress it - for my first baby i was 150lbs to start (too high to begin with) then at delivery room weigh in i was 200 lbs - i lost all the weight plus some - tae bo was my best friend cause u only have to do one excersize to trim up and work all your muscles. my target weight was 135 and i hit it and surpassed it - 126 lbs!
    you will be fine and the weight will leave after pregnancy

Answer by vakatia at 11:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2008