Are boys harder to potty train then girls?

My son is 2 1/2 and is still in diapers. He gets the idea but he isn't consistent.

angelica1111

Asked by angelica1111 at 6:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've heard that before but I've never trained a girl so I can't tell you for sure. My first son was super easy to potty train and was completely trained by 2 1/2 however, my youngest son (who just turned 3) is still not trained fully. So, maybe it's not really a girl vs boy thing, IDK. Good luck with the potty!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:02 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I honestly don't think it's a girl/boy thing. Every child is different. Some kids are motivated more to learn, others could care less. Girls tend to start sooner than boys, but I think that's the only gender difference in potty training.
    Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 7:12 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have one of each; both were easy to train but I'd say my boy was quicker and showed interest sooner. I didn't even start training 'til a month before their 3rd birthdays. It took a week and once they were trained, they were trained both day and night.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• no its an individual thing. But boys just have to aim and fire. lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My son was just as easy as my daughter was, but I did wait a little longer before trying with him than her. She potty trained right at 2 and he was 2 1/2. It took him a full week of my undivided attention before he truly got it and was consistent. We didn't leave the house for anything during that time. I didn't want to miss any opportunities. One week later we were good to go.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• For me my DD was a LOT easier to potty train, she was done by the time that she was 22 months. Both of my boys were 4 till they were trained......and it was not from a lack of trying on my end, they just refused to go in the potty and then they would have accidents all over the floor.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My son was 2.5 and I had him completely trained in 4 days. So, no.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:36 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I've heard that before, but I wouldn't know since I only have a girl and she still isn't potty trained. We've been trying, but she's just not ready and I'm not going to make her do something she isn't ready for. She's 2.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have 2 girls and 3 boys. My girls were 2ish and my boys not til the age of 3. Harder, no...just later.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010