Pagans - Polytheism

I am just curious about every one's beliefs when it comes to Gods and Goddesses. Are you a full polytheist (I'm not sure how to word it, lol), do you believe all the Gods and Goddesses are real and separate from each other - or do you believe that there is only one God/dess and that the many gods and goddesses are representative of the different aspects of the one God/dess? I hope this question makes sense.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• not really into any dieties at all. But I do beleive in the paranormal. But thats about it
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:00 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I believe in many as separate entities, though I connect with one in particular
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I love topics about paganism. I believe that everyone has a different belief. One is not better or wrong than another. But we are all on a personal spiritual path which is very individualized. I feel that there are as many deities as there are languages and cultures and personalities. But if keeping it simple to a special God or Goddess or one of each works, than its real for the believer. I personally work with many aspects of deity. It depends on the situation I am in. I work with Goddesses mostly and from all cultures around the world. They dont mind that Im an American. I have ancestral roots and I work with my heritages deities as well as Hindu and Buddhist. Cool question. M
    MelindaMartelli

Answer by MelindaMartelli at 8:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I believe in energy and that there is both positive and negative energy and that energy can be manipulated. I believe that the moon has an effect on the oceans and the oceans effect the skies (atmosphere) and that the skies effect the weather and that the weather effects people and animals (I could keep going but I think I've gotten my point across) and that all forms of life and matter are manifestations of Universal energy.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm more of a hard polytheists in that I believe that the Gods are real separate beings with their own personalities.  As to how real the Gods are, they are real but there are so many levels of reality and they can and do cross all of them as they are not bound by our reality. I also do not believe that all the Gods are deserving of praise and worship or even respect. I do not believe that all the Gods are good. Some are exceptionally good and some are exceptionally evil while most fall somewhere in-between. Just because they are Gods doesn't mean that our ability to reason and to act morally should be abandoned in favor of the any particularGod's demands. When I say the Gods, I do mean the Gods, the Goddesses, and the sacred Androgynous.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:46 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I actually just posted about this on my blog! lol!

I'm what is called a hard polytheist. I see the Gods & Goddesses as completely separate from one another. Each with their own life force, personality and story... I see this as the reason we have so many different religious paths and religious teachings. Because I believe that each God/Goddess or Pantheon has sent down their own teachings and stories to their followers... This is why even those who claim superiority admit the existence of others...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Unlike Sabrina, I'm a Soft Polytheist...

I believe all gods are ONE GOD; all goddesses, ONE GODDESS.

The names and stories were created by humans because our teeny tiny little human brains cannot even begin to fathom who or what Deity could be.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• disco ball theory. The ball itself is the higher power but each little tiny piece of mirror is a different named god and goddess. we as humans created a belief or faith under different named gods but I believe it is still one higher power
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have another perspective on this. I don't believe in the Gods/Goddesses as actual beings. For me they are a focus point for my energies to the task I need it for. For example if I'm cleaning or working around the house I'll focus on the aspects of Hestia, goddess of the hearth. I do believe strongly in nature spirits, faeries, sprites, naeads, dryads and the like, but all powerful beings, not so much.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Mamak88- Unlike Sabrina, I'm a Soft Polytheist...

"This is how I see the God and Goddess also"
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2010