Gallbladder Surgery

I've been having mild pain under my right rib cages with some nausea and abdominal bloating, no diareha. I'm 30 years old, 5'4 and weigh 116. So the doctor had a Hida scan done on me. The results showed a Ejection Fraction of 2%. I don't have any gallstones. The PCP refered me to a GI doc to have my gallbladder removed. My question is, do I have to have it removed if the pain is mild? Surg is pretty scary. How long can i go before it gets worse?

Angelica2179

Asked by Angelica2179 at 7:29 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Health

• I had my gallbladder removed a few months ago. I would tell you that if you can deal with the mild pain, do it. The surgery was not too bad, as far as surgery goes, but they don't tell you about the side effects of not having a gallbladder. Everything you eat will make you sick, for months on end. It is miseerable. I had my surgery in the beginning of March and I still have to run to the bathroom after every meal. It gets slowly better, but I wish I had never had it done. I had gallstones, and they were very painful, but sporatically. I would have much rather dealt with that than having a constant upset stomach.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 7:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I know surgery is scary. Left untreated though you risk more than a gallbladder. Go to the GI doctor and find out what your options are. Just because yourPCP feels it needs to be out does not mean the specialist will agree. even if he does it's such a minor procedure nowdays compared to the past 10-15 years. It can be done laproscopically. Untreated you could start having issues with the liver and pancreas as well. It's really not worth messing around with and probably better in the long run to have it out. The only way to know is to get that second opinion and go from there.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I suffered with gall bladder pain for 10 years out of fear of surgery. The "attacks" get progressively worse. I was literally doubled over in pain for hours, sometimes over night, throwing up, not being able to avoid the burning pain and pressure that radiates all around your back and upper chest during an attack. Finally in 2007 I had an attack that would not go away. I was in constant agony for a week straight popping Vicodin to ease the pain. They finally took out my gall bladder (what an easy surgery!). I was back to work in a week and I have been pain free ever since.
    My advice - don't let it get worse. The pain is far more horrific than child birth. I had 3 kids naturally with no drugs including a 9.9 pounder. Even that hurt less than a bad gall bladder attack.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I had mine out also. My attacks were quite severe. I would definitely advise having it out before it gets worse. The pain is just unimaginable. There are side effects to the surgery, but they're livable. The pain was not. Best of luck to you!
    sweetheart1985

Answer by sweetheart1985 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i had mine taken out it was at 13 persent, hope you feel better soon
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I had fought with gallstones for years before I finally found a dr who found out what was wrong. I had my gallbladder removed 3 1/2 yrs ago and I only ran to the bathroom with certain foods if they were a little more greasy than usual but I felt great relief for a while but now I find out even without a gallbladder you can still get gallstones so i'm just waiting to see what they are going to be about this issue. Good luck. The surgery isn't that bad at all just the after effects just make sure it's really what you want.
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Also the dr told me when he took it out it busted in his hands and the stones went everywhere. So I got it done just in time.
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I would get it taken care of now. My MIL thought she could deal with it and eventually it was so bad she had to go to the ED and they removed it there. It is not a bad surgery and I think she was home the next day.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2010