Do you think that burning the Quaran will incite violence?

In Gainesville, FL a small church has decided to burn a Qur'an on Saturday 9/11. The pastor states that he is tired of just watching them burn our flag. The church states that nothing they do will incite the violence that out govt is claiming. Do you think that the backlash will be more violence against our soldiers?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 7:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it matters what we do at this point. They are already doing every violent thing they can. I don't think it is an appropriate thing for a church to do. Burning something seems childish, and not a very effective way of sharing God's love.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 7:47 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• yes, i do think it will make it harder for our soldiers. more importantly i think that people like that give christians a bad name, just like the people who participated in 9/11 give muslims a bad name.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:55 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Agree with momof3..

I do not think too well of Islam at this point..but book burning is ridiculous..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:02 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yet, sadly, it is ok for them to burn our Bible.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:09 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think this church is full of nothing but a bunch of Hipcrits!!!!
    They claim to be christians yet they are not honoring what the bible says about "treat others as you would want to be treated"
    It will leave a bad taste in everyones mouth about joining that church or any other church because of this....
    They are a poor excuse for christians and this pastor should be ashmad of himself!
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• ***ashamed****
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:18 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Agree that we should be the bigger folks (so to speak) by NOT doing what the radical muslims do (burning/stomping on Bibles and American flags).I just do not get what this preacher thinks this will accomplish..if he thinks Islam is a cult,evil etc..fine (I agree with him there) but others knowing his opinion should be enough..no need to stoop down so low and burn a book.However, it does appear that alot of Americans are fearful of whatever backlash may come from the peaceful religion..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Funny, when you Google for "bible burning" the entire first page of results is about churches burning versions of the bible they disagree with. After that it devolves into links about the bible's instructions on burning bodies, the fat-burning bible, and more links to churches burning bibles. Then it starts to throw in the story of the burning bush. What's NOT coming up is stories about Muslims burning bibles. (or pagans or Buddhists or atheists). Plenty of Christians burning bibles. Maybe the real problem is no churches are teaching any manners?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm not really sure that it will incite more violence,but I think it's ridiculous.I'm so much against the burning of any books.
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 8:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yeah it just doesn't happen NP

much sarcasm!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2010