I think that smoking around children should be considered child abuse. The child is being harmed and cannot do anything about it besides not breathing! Do you think that this should be considered as child abuse?

leekim2004

Asked by leekim2004 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Health

• Yes. its child abuse.

Those people "play" with the health of the child and the child cant do anything about it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• It may not be fair for the child not to have a voice about it but its def not child abuse
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Wikipedia's definition of "Abuse"

Abuse refers to the use or treatment of something (a person, item, substance, concept, or vocabulary) that is harmful. It can be classed by the target of abuse or the type of abuse.

viking95

Answer by viking95 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• i thnk thats going a little to far. child abuse is a big thing and with the s*** kids are dealing with today thats nothing
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• yes i cant stand smokers they disgust me w/ their dirty nasty smelling habit!
    Anonymous

• Please worry about global warming, over-protective parents, "clicks" at the park; NOT wether toxic fumes may seep into wall cracks, lol!
    How about the smell of oil or fatty foods close to a McDonalds, or adding calories to your diet from cookies!
    ProfilRN

Answer by ProfilRN at 12:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I don't think it's a good decision to smoke around your kids but it's definitely not child abuse.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 12:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• i think it could be. smoking is a terrible habit that affects more people than the smokers.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yes, I think it is. I had to deal with that awful habit for 18 years with my dad smoking all the time. No wonder I had asthma. And my poor grandma who had lung disease and ultimately died from it because of second hand smoke.
    It really irks me to see these poor kids getting into a car with their chimney smoking parents. If they don't care about their own health, I sure wish they would worry about their kids.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 1:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I think if the act is preventable, choosing to do it in front of your children should be considered abuse.

You can smoke outside or when your kids aren't around. Kids don't have a say in stuff like that and it's just not fair. They don't know any better and they can't say "Please don't smoke around me" like we adults can.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2008