Why can't my baby just sleep through...finally???

Hello,

I'm not sure we've done anything "wrong" per se....we read the books, always put our baby down drowsy but awake, etc etc, and yet here we are....13.5 months old and she's still not sleeping through the night. Last week she did beautifully, waking just once and sleeping in 6 to 8 hour stretches. We thought this is it...she's well on her way and we're on our way to getting some good sleep. This week she's back to waking up twice, demanding to be nursed (na na) and not only that, she has been waking up at 5 am for the day. It's brutal.
When she wakes, I've been trying not to nurse her and instead just pat her back and walk out. We live in an apt with thin walls and I always feel awful when she's screaming, so sometimes I just nurse her so she'll be quiet again. I'm never sure anymore what the right answer is but I know she does not need to be nursing during the night.

My husband and I feel overwhelmed and tired.

onefootforward

Asked by onefootforward at 8:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If your baby wakes up and starts to yell and scream... it is going to be hard to get her to go back to sleep easily. She's working herself up. Some kids DON'T sleep through the night for a while. Nurse her and let her go back to sleep- if she will, going back to sleep is better than no sleep. Sorry. And it doesn't last forever.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:22 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Actually, she may need nursed...her body may be having a growth spurt and needs the calories. And it isn't unusual for kids to still not sleep even at 2.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Is she taking a sippy cup yet? You could try substituting a cup of water/milk in place of the nursing. Her body may be sending her hunger cues because she's used to being fed in the night. If you start eating a snack in the middle of the night, fairly soon your body will start expecting it.

Answer by missanc at 9:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2010