Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Is this abuse/neglect? (TMI drug reference)

There is a little girl who runs around my neighborhood. She is seven years old and simply amazing. She is loving, caring and kind and takes care of the other kids in the neighborhood. My problem is... her parents, (her mom and grandmother, the father isn't involved), are horrible people. I see them outside their apartment fighting, smoking weed and drinking all hours of the night. they have drug traffic almost every day. The grandmother, who is 7 months pregnant, walks the sidewalk, talking on her cell phone about "Idc if I do got this baby, I'll beat that hoes a**" while she is smoking a blunt. All of this happens in front of this perfect little seven year old girl... =(
What can I do to show this little girl that her life doesn't have to end up like her mom and grandma? Should I call CPS? If I do call CPS, what proof would I need to show that she is being neglected/abused? (She is not being hit). Should i butt out?

Answer Question

Asked by 3livin4angels at 8:06 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 5 (76 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • That is really sad. I probably would call CPS. They probably really do love the little girl, maybe they just need a wake-up call. Some people are just ghetto, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad parents. Show the little girl love and boost her self esteem, you never know it might help. I think they might be better for her than foster care....

    Answer by momof3josephs at 8:11 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • record the mom and grandma doing there dumb shit i cant believe people like that have such good kid please help that little girl report them to the cops that they have drugs so it can be on record

    Answer by cnoble927 at 8:12 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • Wow. Tough call on that one. I would say no to that only in that she isn't being hit. Never know how they treat her in the home.

    Answer by Mariejen at 8:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • DEFINATELY call CPS, and also call local law enforcement. If the mother and grandmother get arrested for drugs (which would then lead to an Endangering the Welfare of a Child charge since the child is in their care and around the alcohol and drug abuse) then hopefully she'll be placed with a competant family member or maybe even Social Services/Foster Care - which sounds better than the current situation she's living in. I'm not sure what state you live in, but the number I found for CPS is 1-800-342-3720.

    Answer by 4bridges at 8:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • I agree on calling the cops about the drugs. If you are for sure they are smoking weed then report it. You don't have to use your name. It is hard to know if your crossing the line. I was raised with a father that was a HUGE drug addict and a mother that completely ignored us because of all she was dealing with. I would hate to have someone have called and had me go to foster care. And I lead a very normal life. And since I have been little my dad quit using and I am closer to my family more than ever. But if its on record it may be enough for a wake up call for them. My dad had to hit rock bottom to change, but he was not taken out of my life either. That would have killed me more!!! I wish you could give me an update.

    Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • I agree with 4bridges........please call and help this precious little girl. It's a wonder she is as sweet as she is living with the people she is living with. Hope you can help this little girl. Good luck hon.......


    Answer by zbee at 8:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • even if no child living at home
    the drug trafficing in my neighborhood, would be reason alone to call local law inforcement
    when high drug traffic in a house is going on, something bad is bond to follow
    for your own well being, i would call and report the house as possible drug house
    hopefully this will be looked into and the law will take it from there

    Answer by fiatpax at 9:22 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • Abuse is not only "being hit". There is no doubt the child is at risk. Call CPS. They'll investigate. And the law will absolutely be involved.

    Answer by caseyandkids at 10:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • If you call CPS make sure you mention that the parents are on drugs so they will drug test them. NO child should be exposed to that environment.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • That sounds horrible. Make the call.

    Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.