My ex-husband is a pathological liar and I'm wondering if it's heredity or not cause my daughter is starting to lie and I know kids are supposed to lie but it's getting pretty bad.

My daughter is 7 and knows the difference from right and wrong. She's doesn't see her Father since he doesn't come around. He's the kind of guy that leaves for 3 or so years and then comes back into her life. I divorced him when she was 2, after a year of marriage, he showed back up last year, off and on, for about 5 or so months. I searched the internet and it said that it was hereditary but also can be changed. I'm wondering what steps to take to correct it.

LaHoward

Asked by LaHoward at 8:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• honestly its just what kids do anyways, but I spose its possible she got some of his bad genes, too. Might wanna have her sit with a therapist and try to nip it in the bud
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:20 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Let her know that you always expect her to tell the truth. Have an open and honest relationship with her. Talk to her pediatrician about it and browse some books in a good bookstore to learn more. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:20 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Therapy is probably a good idea, for the lying and for her father abandoning her...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:23 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i'm not sure but i would think its possible. My son is never around his bio dad and i see things in him sometimes..rage..the same look his dad would get..(it sends chills down my spine..) i don't know how you could fix a liar but any time my son gets out of line and thinks hes gonna snap on me...i put him right back down to his little size. Something i'm sure my ex's mother probably never did..and thats why he was the way he was. My son sometimes won't get his way and he will growl and stick his finger in my face...i snatch that little finger and tell him he better not ever do it again. lol mine is getting better...i don't know hopefully its not his genes..maybe his is just spoiled brat syndrome.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• No, there really isn't a genetic predisposition to lying behaviors. Lying is something most kids will try ... and if it gets them what they want, they'll do it more and more. It's a learned behavior.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 12:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• whoever said kids are supposed to lie? DUMB! Mine dont! That was a rule set inplace from day 1!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm pretty sure it's not hereditary. She will continue to lie if she is allowed to get away with it. When she sees that it doesn't work (which is where you come in) she will stop.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2010